Thread: Cabinet

MT.Pleasant,Pa. About 45 miles Southeast of Pittsburgh.

Red face Cabinet

I'm making a shelve cabinet and want to ask, which number wood screw would you suggest to use for going through the flat side of a 2 x 4 into the side of a 1 x 4? I know it should be probably 2 1/2" to 3" long.
    Last edited by Rick Albright; 02-11-2017 at 11:46 PM.

Depends on the screw. If possible, I would doe a few tests. My Hi Point screws have very different characteristics to what I consider a standard wood working screw.

So you are going through 1.5" of 2x4 and then into a 1x4, which I assume means into the 3/4" cross section of the wood. I assume that you will drill pilot holes so that your alignment is correct.

I assume that you want to secure the shelf in place. Any chance you can cut a dado into the 2x4? That would probably help a lot.

Run a few test on scrap.

All that said, I would drill pilot holes and work very hard to keep the square.
    I would use #8 screws for my first tests.

When I last did this, what I really did was to put a support strip under the shelf and I screwd that in place.

2x4 seems awfully heavy for making a cabinet. To answer your question, though, to attach 2x4 material I would consider using a #10 or 12.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I would use a pocket hole jig, you can buy the smaller of the Kreg jigs from Lowes for about $40 last I checked. With a pocket hole jig the screw is not completely in line with the grain, running it at an angle seems to give a lot of extra strength.

A support strip like Andrew suggested, or cutting a dado into the side of the 2 x 4 will also help a good bit. You can also laminate two pieces of 1 x wood together and leave a space for the shelf if you do not have a router or handsaw and chisel, or another way to make a dado.

End grain does not always hold screws well when you run screws in directly along the grain.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Chris

Blog Entries
    Unless you plan on removing the 1 x 4's later. I would recommend that you use #10 x 2-1/2 screws and glue on the edge of the 1 x 4. The screws will hold the board while the glue dries.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute