Thread: Standard shank bit in a two jaw brace?

Standard shank bit in a two jaw brace?

Gentlemen,

Do any of you have a solution for gaining purchase on smooth (or hex shanked) bits with a 2 jaw brace? Does anyone make a Jacobs chuck to tang adapter?

I could just buy another brace, but I am still trying to claw my way up the slippery slope of buying a tool because I "might" need it or it was a "good deal".
    Last edited by Jason Dean; 02-06-2017 at 12:06 PM.
    There's never enough time to do it right, but there's always enough time to do it over.

I've been able to grip hex shanked bits in a two-jaw brace, but there's nothing to keep them from getting pushed deeper into the chuck. Some braces were said to accommodate smooth bits, but if you had a brace with one of those chucks, you probably wouldn't be asking.

For bits up to about 1/4", an eggbeater drill, large variety, is better. For larger bits, are you not getting good results with your auger bits?

For small holes, as for hardware screws, it's hard to beat a push drill. If you go looking for one, look for the type that takes the Yankee/North Bros/Stanley bits, rather than the bits for Goodell-Pratt (and many Millers-Falls, Craftsman, etc. drills). You can get replacements more easily.

You won't regret buying either of these tools, if you get a good one.
    Last edited by Bill Houghton; 02-06-2017 at 12:07 PM. Reason: more thoughts after posting

Blog Entries
    Howdy Jason,

As Bill said, some of the later braces were made to accept twist drill bits. Usually this was for bits of 1/8" and larger.

There are adapters available:

Chuck for Brace.jpg

Not sure if there are any currently being made.

Often times it is easier to find a solution to another's need if it clear what another wishes to accomplish.

For small twist bits, up to ~3/8", a good egg beater type drill, like a Millers Falls #2, works great.

There are also a lot of twist type bits with auger tangs for use in a brace.

If you have a chance to purchase what is called a breast drill, make sure it has three jaws. Some do come with two jaws to accommodate bits with the square auger tang.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Are you talking about high speed bits?
    I only have one auger bit that has the shank cut off, but both my braces will grip it.

Lee Valley sells an auger bit with a head that accepts hex shanks. It works great for me.
    AKA - "The human termite"

I remember my father would wrap sanding paper around the shaft of smooth straight shanked bits. But I was never really enthousiastic about that method, like I wasn't very enthousiastic about the brace at all in those days!

Get yourself some square shank bits, they aren't that expensive on the second hand market and it works a lot better.

Thanks to all for the replies!

Bill, I have a Yankee push drill laying around that I will definitely try for small things. I've never had occasion to play with one, but now that you mention it's usefulness I am keen to try it.

Jim/Chuck, I was attempting to find a solution for a wood owl auger bit. They make them with a 7/16" shank so the Lee Valley 1/4" adapter won't help me in this situation (but It is on my list of things to acquire)

2017-02-06 16.09.21.jpg2017-02-06 16.09.10.jpg
    There's never enough time to do it right, but there's always enough time to do it over.

IMAG0006.jpg
    Been having a lot of luck, holding round shanked bits in this type of chuck...

I have a funky German made Primis (sp ) with those type of jaws. The MillerFalls Holdall chucks have pretty aggressive teeth on the jaws.

Mine was a Millers Falls 1054, 6" sweep brace, made for Keen Kutter....

I have several braces with "Lion" chucks. They have two jaws, but hold anything you put in them. I also have a No. 12 breast drill from Millers Falls, which has two jaws in the chuck. It is the "holdall" style, and also hold anything I have put in it, including modern smooth round shaft bits.

On the other hand, I have a Pexto brace that does not hold anything but the traditional square tapered shank bits.

In my opinion a quality brace (a Lion chuck for example) is well worth the $20-$30 it might cost you.