Thread: Asking for design help - better ideas?

Question Asking for design help - better ideas?

hi:

I usually hang out in tools, but this is a design issue so..

I need some better (than my own) ideas - the attached photo shows an arch built using 8" x 16" concrete blocks painted yellow. The previous owners of this house put it in when the weight of the fireplace they were building on the main floor above started to collapse the floor. The thing is 62" wide inside the arch, 87" wide inside along the back. The opening is 79" high; inside wall height is 93". The wood attached to the two front facing bits (foreground) appears to be some kind of compressed fiber board attached with concrete nails.

The whole arch forms one wall of a walk in closet I'm building there. The photo was taken from the right hand edge of the door way. The rest of the closet is baltic birch, mahogany trim, stainless steel fixtures (bars for hanging stuff etc), lighting is "daylight" LED.

What should go in the hole created by the arch? ( I have neither enemies nor amontillado )
    Attached Images Attached Images

What's in that hole? Do you need to access it?

Seems like a better idea to get yourself some amontillado instead of some enemies. Then you'd know exactly what to do with that space.

• A drop down ironing board and associated supplies? You already have the outlet in place (and the ironing board).
    • A cabinet with shelves for shirts or sweaters?
    • Stuff that can be stored away from season to season?
    • A hidden gun storage area?
    • Combination of the above?
    • All behind doors.

There's 2¢ for ya.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Blog Entries
    What else is the room where this "arch" is located?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Not sure I understand. Are you wondering if "casing the opening " would be a good idea? I say yes if you want the basement "finished". If you just want to hide some junky stuff from view, a curtain would suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    What's in that hole? Do you need to access it?

Seems like a better idea to get yourself some amontillado instead of some enemies. Then you'd know exactly what to do with that space.
    A power socket - set in the original wall. (There used to be a window there too..). I have no use for it although my wife wants to use it as a secret lock box I think it's too sm,all (8" x 8" x 10" deep ) for that.

I need to use the space - that walk in closet measures about 103 inches deep (parallel to the arch) by 82 wide. The doorway is somewhat off center with the arch on your left as you walk in, and a various closet rods etc on the right for hanging stuff at various heights.