Thread: Vise Advise

Vise Advise

Hello everybody!

I am building a workbench and have decided to put an end vise and a face vise on it. The vises on the benches I use now annoy me because of the racking (I know how to solve the problem, but the fact that I have to annoys me). I have seen online the twin screw (chain driven) vises that don't have this issue and I have pretty much decided to go with this type of vise. Having never used this type of vise, I don't know which brand I will like the best. I would like to hear from people that have used this type before (or maybe a friend has it and has told you things) so that I can know the pros and cons of each of them. I have only looked at the veritas twin screw and LN chain driven vises so if you have experience with those, great! If not, feel free to suggest other brands that you have used and like.

This is just one very long term investment and I want to make sure I choose well! Thanks in advance!

Caleb Gallentine

"Adults are just kids with more expensive toys"

Caleb, I built a Roubo bench back in 2006 and faced the decision you have now. At the time LN didn't have the twin screw and I purchased the Veritas vise. I used this vise as my end vise and have had no problems with it. I use it mostly as an end vise for hand planing, so am using just one end of the moving chop. It works very well with no racking. I doubt that you would go wrong with either of the brands of twin screw vises, I didn't have to make that choice. I use a patternmakers vise as my face vise and actually it gets most of the day to day use. About three years ago I made another lower Roubo bench specially for hand planing, on it I installed a leg vise on the front and a wagon vise as an end vise. I have never wished I had done different with it. Both the leg vise and the patternmakers vise have a deadman so I can use them to edge long boards. Both the patternmakers vise and the twin screw have holes lined up with the vise for clamping assemblies and for planing flat boards. I also have a much older bench that is used for outfeed for my table saw and the big band saw, it has an antique leg vise, probably a hundred fifty years old, on it that was my only vise for about thirty years. I have a machinist vise that was my Dad's that I intend to mount on a base that I can clamp into the twin screw, the patternmakers, or one of the leg vises. Then I will have most everything I could ever need covered. Good luck with your build and show us pictures as you build along.

Ken

Thanks Ken! I will certainly post pictures along the way. Unfortunately I don't think I'll really get started till April though :/

Blog Entries
    Love my LV twin screw. I'm adding one as an end vise too.

Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-24-2017 at 10:44 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have found the Bench crafted products to be superb-you might start a bench discussion in the Neanderthal section here, you will have a three month supply of fresh opinions on vises.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb Gallentine View Post
    Hello everybody!

I am building a workbench and have decided to put an end vise and a face vise on it. The vises on the benches I use now annoy me because of the racking (I know how to solve the problem, but the fact that I have to annoys me). I have seen online the twin screw (chain driven) vises that don't have this issue and I have pretty much decided to go with this type of vise. Having never used this type of vise, I don't know which brand I will like the best. I would like to hear from people that have used this type before (or maybe a friend has it and has told you things) so that I can know the pros and cons of each of them. I have only looked at the veritas twin screw and LN chain driven vises so if you have experience with those, great! If not, feel free to suggest other brands that you have used and like.

This is just one very long term investment and I want to make sure I choose well! Thanks in advance!

Caleb Gallentine
    I have been very happy with the Veritas twin screw vise. I have used it for over 10 years as a tail vise and have a Jorgenson face vise which has also been good. I would think the LN vise would be excellent. As I recall, installing the Veritas vice was harder than I expected. I remember the instructions emphasizing the importance of reading all the way through first, something I don't usually do!

For my bench's face vise, I have a Veritas Tucker patternmaker's vise, which is unfortunately no longer available. Please do not confuse this vise with the cheap knock-offs you'll find for sale nowadays. Might I suggest that once you've used a patternmaker's vise, you won't be satisfied with any other type?

Workbench 2015.jpg
    Photos of my bench

I elected to go with a Veritas tail vise ( http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,41637,41659 ), and am extremely happy with it. I would, however consider the Benchcrafted tail vise (http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,41637,41659), which although not nearly as flexible, because it doesn't have a face as well as holes for pins, falls second to my may of thinking.
    Marty Schlosser
    Kingston, ON, Canada
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/apexwoodworks/
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ApexWoodworksFurniture/
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkmbvXb44CJ9t17SbHEWxJg/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Schlosser View Post
    For my bench's face vise, I have a Veritas Tucker patternmaker's vise, which is unfortunately no longer available. Please do not confuse this vise with the cheap knock-offs you'll find for sale nowadays. Might I suggest that once you've used a patternmaker's vise, you won't be satisfied with any other type?

Workbench 2015.jpg
    Photos of my bench

I elected to go with a Veritas tail vise ( http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,41637,41659 ), and am extremely happy with it. I would, however consider the Benchcrafted tail vise (http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,41637,41659), which although not nearly as flexible, because it doesn't have a face as well as holes for pins, falls second to my may of thinking.
    Actually I have one of the cheap knockoff patternmakers vise. I believe it was made in Taiwan and I bought it from Highland Woodworking in Atlanta about 8 years ago when they could be had for $199, they range from $299 to $399 now. The one I own is a copy of an Emmert, and with some tuning and cleanup it looks great and works fantastic. I did like the Tucker but back when they quit manufacturing them I think they were pushing $500. Really for 300 bucks the Emmert knockoff isn't a Tucker but they sure work nice, and the castings are fine grain high quality castings. After all mine was made in Taiwan, not China, and isn't Taiwan the new Japan when it comes to manufacturing? Also I believe Highland Woodworking has a YouTube video on this same model, check it out.