Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sander Suggestions

Sander Suggestions

I have been considering getting a new RO sander. Mine old Craftsman Professional is on it's last legs.

I have been looking at the Mirka Ceros, Mirka Deros, Festool ETS EC 125/3 EQ (Brushless RO), and the Festool Rotex.

Any comments, suggestions, recommendations?
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Very happy with my Festool ETS EC 150/3 (1+ years use?). It has replaceable pads of varying softness and works very well with the Festool dust collection system. Best hand sander of this ilk I have owned. On par with the pneumatics and with better dust collection.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

I use my ETS 150/3 for 98% of my sanding and enjoy the quality of the tool, the quality of the work and the lack of vibration to my hands. (the last was the original primary reason I made the investment nearly 10 years ago)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I love my Rolex and 150 FEQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adamsen View Post
    Very happy with my Festool ETS EC 150/3 (1+ years use?). It has replaceable pads of varying softness and works very well with the Festool dust collection system. Best hand sander of this ilk I have owned. On par with the pneumatics and with better dust collection.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I use my ETS 150/3 for 98% of my sanding and enjoy the quality of the tool, the quality of the work and the lack of vibration to my hands. (the last was the original primary reason I made the investment nearly 10 years ago)
    Can you use Abranet with the Festool sanders?

Stew Hagerty

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sutherland View Post
    What do you like about the Rotex over one of the low profile brushless models? Does the Dual-Mode really make that much of a difference?

Stew Hagerty

Another vote for the ETS EC 150/3. So far mine has been very nice. Although now that I know you can use the 6" pads on the ETS EC 125/3 but not the 5" pads on the ETS EC 125/3 I might have gone with the ETS EC 125/3. I at least have the Pro 5 LTD if I want finer/smaller but there are no pad changes for that. Rotex's were too heavy IMO and I dont need the aggressiveness they offer. If I did I would have gone with one. Although the Rotex 90 FEQ with its specialty shaped pads is tempting. Down the line perhaps.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

8. I have the Festool 150/5 ETS EC and absolutely love it. It is ridiculously overpriced but it is my single most used tool. It can be aggressive or it can be nice finishing sander. It is nice to hold and easy to control. I love the brake that stops it almost immediately so I can set it right down on workbench. I easily spend 20% less time sanding with it than with my previous basic Rigid ROS. To me, that translates into hours per month of time saved. Festool says this is a 'rough' sander and the 150/3 is the 'finish' sander but I honestly don't follow this line of reasoning (other than to sell more tools). I've also heard many good things of the Mirka's.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Hagerty View Post
    Can you use Abranet with the Festool sanders?
    Pretty much all I use with my ETS150/3.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sutherland View Post

I find Rolex to be to heavy, but it does keep good time.

I find so many uses for the RoTex. From sanding down my large deck to shaping wood there is nothing I've seen that can be so aggressive and when used with fine paper, so fast in finishing. The dust collection is not up to the 150feq but since I've used the RoTex mostly outside it hasn't been a issue

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Although now that I know you can use the 6" pads on the ETS EC 125/3 but not the 5" pads on the ETS EC 125/3 I might have gone with the ETS EC 125/3.
    Ben, I did not know that. The 5" was my first choice because it's what I've been used to, and I have a whole bunch of 5" hook & loop disks on hand. However, after seeing everyone vote for the 150/3 I was thinking more about that one. But, if I can use a 6" pad on the 125/3 that would be perfect. I could use the 6" with Abra net for heavier work and switch back to the 5" and standard paper disks for the finer stuff.

Stew Hagerty

+1 on the Festool ETS EC 150/3 - plenty of power, light-weight and the usual excellent dust extraction

All I can say is my guys fight over the deros and will wait for it instead of the festool ets's so I bought 2 more deros so they would all have one. We had the same problem when I baught a new sawstop ics table saw we know have 2!

500 bones is insane for a tool of its kind but you all make me want to go out and buy one. Insanely overpriced. I could see if it was $300. Geez the peer pressure.