Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fair price for Epilog Mini 35?

Fair price for Epilog Mini 35?

Have a chance to bid on an Epilog Mini 35, made in 08. It's just the machine, no software included. What should a fair price be on a unit like this? Bids are very low right now but I want to make sure I keep a reasonable max bid that I don't go over. Don't want to impulse buy but really would like one for my hobby shop if I can get it reasonable.

There is also one from 06 up for bidding, same model.

They look to be in good shape, some scrapes and scratches on the outside, but inside looks good. They were definitely in a production environment and not an office type setting.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

Take the price of a new unit. Subtract the cost of a new tube, belts, bearings, lens, mirrors, and the main board. Also subtract the labor involved in fixing it up. That number should get you close.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

That's what I was trying to find, was the cost of those parts. Is there somewhere that sells these besides calling Epilog? This will be my first laser engraver so I'm not familiar with all the popular sites yet.

You'd be buying those from Epilog. But if you have the serial number of the laser you might be able to get some more information on it as well when you call.

I've seen some great deals from the auctions, but only caveat is if you're getting a machine auctioned off by a school or a local maker space; it may be in considerably worse shape than one that has been used professionally over the same amount of hours.

I'd be curious to see the auctions if you'd be willing to post the link (assuming it's online). Or you can PM me if you don't want others seeing it and adding to the competition
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

I have one built in '06 with a few extras. I seriously wouldn't let it go for less then $10k. FYI - It's not for sale. Makes a good backup machine.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

I have an '04 mini. I recently replaced the X & Y motors and X & Y belts. I also changed out what was necessary for the X-motor fan upgrade. All those parts cost me around $550 including shipping. I think the encoder strip was around $25 including shipping last time I purchased one of those.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

upgraded 40 watt epilog tube cost me $2k 2 years ago for my mini-18
    Bruce Clumpner
    Brandon Services Laser Engraving
    Academy Commemoratives - Personalized Memorabilia for the U.S. Service Academies
    Irvine, CA
    -
    Epilog 75-watt Helix, 40-watt 18-Mini
    Started with Corel Draw V1 now feeling the pain of CorelDraw x7
    CS4 photoshop
    CS4 illustrator
    PhotoGrav

Thanks guys, I got pricing on the tube today and will take the other costs into consideration. I don't have a lot to spend but don't want to let it slip away, even if it means holding on to the machine until I can afford to replace the parts.

Thanks for all your help!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Shinall View Post
    Thanks guys, I got pricing on the tube today and will take the other costs into consideration. I don't have a lot to spend but don't want to let it slip away, even if it means holding on to the machine until I can afford to replace the parts.

Thanks for all your help!
    Just to be clear, no one is suggesting you replace all those parts the day you buy the machine! They're simply suggesting you add the cost into your calculation of what the machine is worth, because the odds are good one or more of those things will need to be replaced at some point on an older machine.

But gosh, please don't go out and spend all that extra money on day 1. If the machine is working fine (and it should be if you're paying decent money for the used machine), then you don't need to do much of anything unless you see problems arise.

GL!
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX

I'm a little more conservative. I doubt I'd pay more than $7,000.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Yes Keith, I understood that, just thinking worse case scenario. I'd be extatic if the thing worked perfefct when I got it home LOL.

Thank you all for your input. I pulled the trigger on the auction today and went a little higher than I was hoping because of some last second bids but after auction fees and tax I am now the proud owner of an 06 Epilog Mini 35 for $3200. Pick it up Tuesday and get the fun of figuring this out...

Sounds like a steal to me. Congratulations!
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Sounds very good!

Would you PM the link to the auction site or auction house? I'm going to be looking for a second machine in about 3-4 months and it sounds like you've found a great source!
    Last edited by Keith Downing; 02-11-2017 at 7:50 PM.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX

It was southauctiongroup dot com. But the guy even said himself he has never come across engravers besides this business that was closing out. They do mostly real estate and the occasional small business closing.