Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time spent building for the shop?

Time spent building for the shop?

New to the forum..... and kind of new to woodworking. Been at it off and on for about 5 years. I often refer to myself as a wannabe amateur woodworker.

Lately I have found that I am spending more time building and planning things for in the shop than "actual" woodworking projects. Given the list of shop projects I have, I may never get to an "actual" project

Do others find themselves in a similar situation? How have you handled a mix of shop vs actual projects?

At the moment my list contains:
    Sheet good storage / rack
    Router table
    Dust collection piping
    Workbenches
    General layout issues
    Tool Storage solutions
    Air Line routing
    Drill press station
    Etc.....

Vince, Welcome to the Creek. I have the same balance issues. I would suggest getting the dust collection done. Thinking through dust collection will include your layout issues also. A workbench is used all the time in my shop. To me it is the most important tool. I've been in my current shop about 4 years and I still haven't got air lines run. I'd say do a project, then do a shop project. Just peck away at it. In 10 years a lot will be done. Random ROG

Hello Vince,

I built my shop from the ground up a few years ago. I solved the balancing problem by beginning to moved my table saw, lathe, and bandsaw in before I had the walls up and started using them before the lighting, insulation, and other things were done. I did install the dust collection early as well as the air lines in the walls. I worked off of flat boards on rolling carts until I built a small workbench. I used wire shelving units on wheels before I got around to putting up shelves. I mounted my lathe tools on a sheet of plywood leaning against the wall until I built some racks and things. I ran extension cords before I had my wiring done. Life is good.

My shop may never be done, maybe before I kick the bucket, maybe not. I do use my shop for a lot: in addition to a little flat wood in my shop, I do a lot of wood turning, carving, have a welding shop, a small machine shop, have a farm equipment maintenance area, an electronics repair bench, a library, and keep microscopes and resources for animal health care. I'm having so much fun using the shop I really don't mind if the last of the paneling is not up, a few outside outlets are not yet hot, or my temporary wood storage solution is leaning things against the wall. I would rather polish a wood turning than polish tool cabinets.

I realize people have different objectives. One guy can't sleep at night if there is a shaving on his floor. Of course, he polishes his car engine and sends all his clothes out to the dry cleaners. For some reason it seems like he doesn't ever make much in his shop...

Another friend always seems to keep his work space organized and gets a LOT done. His secret is to keep a to-do list on a folded 3x5 card in his shirt pocket. Every day he makes himself take an hour or so and does one thing or at least works on one thing on the list. Maybe I can learn to do that when I grow up.

JKJ

I have spent a lot of time upgrading the shop in the last couple years. Replaced my 2hp cyclone with a 3hp cyclone, added some equipment and redid the dust piping. Then decided to add a wood floor over the concrete. Nice to get back to building projects.

Vince,

I was in a very similiar spot as you until about 1 year ago. I built a shop and then spent several years "building things for the shop"--miter saw station, dust collection, drill press table, etc....until last year I decided to stop on the shop projects and actually try to build woodworking projects.

One of the things I quickly realized was that I was wrong about the utility of a lot of my shop projects....My 8 ft miter saw station is too big, two rolling 4 x 4 work benches is one too many, ports on the dust collection I thought I would use all of the time, I never use, while others that I put in as an after thought are the most useful, etc.

So while I love a good shop project, I would also recommend that start doing some non-shop projects to see how you work in your shop.

Vince, I've been doing the opposite. Between home improvement projects, fix- it projects and a few fun woodworking projects I've neglected my workshop. Now, I've had to almost stop all work and get the workshop cleaned up, build shop storage and get everything organized. As I think over the past few years I should been more organized and built shop storage much sooner. Doing so would have saved me a lot of time and prevented many problems.

Thanks for the feedback and great points and tips
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Green View Post
    Vince, Welcome to the Creek. I have the same balance issues. I would suggest getting the dust collection done. Thinking through dust collection will include your layout issues also. A workbench is used all the time in my shop. To me it is the most important tool. I've been in my current shop about 4 years and I still haven't got air lines run. I'd say do a project, then do a shop project. Just peck away at it. In 10 years a lot will be done. Random ROG
    Hi Rodger, thanks for the welcome. I am currently working on the dust collection but as you say layout issues..... I have the dust collector, miter station attached to shelving and table saw in place... the rest is in flux. 10yrs sounds about right LOL

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Hello Vince,

I built my shop from the ground up a few years ago. I solved the balancing problem by beginning to moved my table saw, lathe, and bandsaw in before I had the walls up and started using them before the lighting, insulation, and other things were done. I did install the dust collection early as well as the air lines in the walls. I worked off of flat boards on rolling carts until I built a small workbench. I used wire shelving units on wheels before I got around to putting up shelves. I mounted my lathe tools on a sheet of plywood leaning against the wall until I built some racks and things. I ran extension cords before I had my wiring done. Life is good.

My shop may never be done, maybe before I kick the bucket, maybe not. I do use my shop for a lot: in addition to a little flat wood in my shop, I do a lot of wood turning, carving, have a welding shop, a small machine shop, have a farm equipment maintenance area, an electronics repair bench, a library, and keep microscopes and resources for animal health care. I'm having so much fun using the shop I really don't mind if the last of the paneling is not up, a few outside outlets are not yet hot, or my temporary wood storage solution is leaning things against the wall. I would rather polish a wood turning than polish tool cabinets.

I realize people have different objectives. One guy can't sleep at night if there is a shaving on his floor. Of course, he polishes his car engine and sends all his clothes out to the dry cleaners. For some reason it seems like he doesn't ever make much in his shop...

Another friend always seems to keep his work space organized and gets a LOT done. His secret is to keep a to-do list on a folded 3x5 card in his shirt pocket. Every day he makes himself take an hour or so and does one thing or at least works on one thing on the list. Maybe I can learn to do that when I grow up.

JKJ
    Hi John, A shop from the ground up would have been glorious. Mine was existing when bought the home. Unfortunately only 5 receptacles in the entire 24x26 area..... and that includes the one in the ceiling for the over head garage door. But it is very handy for my pull down power cord that I use alot . Yes I believe that shops are never really "done" per-say. I really like your friends idea of a to-do list and will try to incorporate that into my shop time

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    I have spent a lot of time upgrading the shop in the last couple years. Replaced my 2hp cyclone with a 3hp cyclone, added some equipment and redid the dust piping. Then decided to add a wood floor over the concrete. Nice to get back to building projects.
    Hi Jim, So the shop upgrade work could end at some point in time.... good to know

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Mason-Darnell View Post
    Vince,

I was in a very similiar spot as you until about 1 year ago. I built a shop and then spent several years "building things for the shop"--miter saw station, dust collection, drill press table, etc....until last year I decided to stop on the shop projects and actually try to build woodworking projects.

One of the things I quickly realized was that I was wrong about the utility of a lot of my shop projects....My 8 ft miter saw station is too big, two rolling 4 x 4 work benches is one too many, ports on the dust collection I thought I would use all of the time, I never use, while others that I put in as an after thought are the most useful, etc.

So while I love a good shop project, I would also recommend that start doing some non-shop projects to see how you work in your shop.
    Hi Todd, your statement about the utility of the shop really struck a cord with me .... I can see how a person (me) could get caught up in the "this is a great/good for the shop" but then realize once working in there that it would have been better a different way or not at all..... THANK YOU

Quote Originally Posted by Don Bullock View Post
    Vince, I've been doing the opposite. Between home improvement projects, fix- it projects and a few fun woodworking projects I've neglected my workshop. Now, I've had to almost stop all work and get the workshop cleaned up, build shop storage and get everything organized. As I think over the past few years I should been more organized and built shop storage much sooner. Doing so would have saved me a lot of time and prevented many problems.
    Hi Don, I know all about that..... I myself am coming off a 3yr basement and theater build (evenings and some weekends). A theater is never really finished (like a workshop). I did a lot of custom work for the theater where the shop got use but I was so fixated on the theater that the shop took the back burner. The custom work wasn't really what I would like to be doing in the shop normally and unfortunately didn't give me a sense of the "utility" of my shop like Todd noted. I did realize a couple things though.... my sheet good storage is terrible and I hate moving things to get to what I want....

I consider a lot of "shop projects" good to build up your woodworking skills.
    They are usually easier than something like furniture and are more forgiving about fit & finish.
    At some point though, you do need to blend in some other projects.
    Kinda like a Cadillac that really shines, but doesn't run.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Schoenthal View Post
    I consider a lot of "shop projects" good to build up your woodworking skills.
    They are usually easier than something like furniture and are more forgiving about fit & finish.
    At some point though, you do need to blend in some other projects.
    Kinda like a Cadillac that really shines, but doesn't run.
    Good point, I guess that is why I see some pretty tricked out shop "furniture"

Same here. I actually kinda enjoy it. Building stuff for the shop is a lot of fun and can make many things in the shop much more functional. If youre just a hobbyist, whats the rush to get to other projects? The whole point is to build. Doesnt matter what it is, just to produce something with your hands. If you have no real time constraints other than those you put on yourself, whats the rush? Dont worry, those other projects will still be there when youre done tinkering with the shop and the tools.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Same here. I actually kinda enjoy it. Building stuff for the shop is a lot of fun and can make many things in the shop much more functional. If youre just a hobbyist, whats the rush to get to other projects? The whole point is to build. Doesnt matter what it is, just to produce something with your hands. If you have no real time constraints other than those you put on yourself, whats the rush? Dont worry, those other projects will still be there when youre done tinkering with the shop and the tools.
    I am a hobbyist, so you have a point.... what is my rush and I am building, planning and creating.
    OH ya..... its my wife's list that keeps getting longer

Vince,

Welcome and this is normal for all of us.

Major remodel and expansion of my shop started almost 3 years ago.

If you're not careful it can totally consume you. My suggestion is get the basics done and take a break to do a ww'ing project.

Advantage is once you actually start working it helps you figure things out about your shop.

Sometimes I think that setting up and improving the shop is like remodeling. You never finish you just quit
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    Vince,

Welcome and this is normal for all of us.

Major remodel and expansion of my shop started almost 3 years ago.

If you're not careful it can totally consume you. My suggestion is get the basics done and take a break to do a ww'ing project.

Advantage is once you actually start working it helps you figure things out about your shop.
    Hi Robert, I could see where it may consume a person.
    Good advice thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    Sometimes I think that setting up and improving the shop is like remodeling. You never finish you just quit
    Hi Steve, hahaha yes there is some truth to that for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post

+1 Exactly. Randy