Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Time spent building for the shop?

Since I'm still putting my shop back together, the overwhelming majority of my projects are shop projects since a lot of my tools are still in boxes and need somewhere to go. I just finished the beginning of major tool storage over one workbench that is currently completely covered in hand tools, to the point that I can't use it as a bench. Before that, I made a new outfeed table for the table saw. I still have a ton of projects that need to get finished, including building the shed for my dust collector and compressor and running all the lines, that need to get done before I can be organized enough to do large scale non-shop projects. That's what's killing me right now, the large tools are mostly in place, it's the small ones that are scattered everywhere, making it impossible to work.

Welcome.
    I use several of the tips of this thread. One project for the house, one for the shop. Depending on the urgency of the requestor for the house project...
    I also try to use new techniques for shop projects for practice when I need to use it for a nicer piece.
    The one thing I did realize is to put something together using scraps and then use it for a while to see how it works in your flow. Case in point, I needed a combination outfeed, router, table top tool, assembly table. I made it to a size that I 'thought' I needed, only to find out it was about 4-6" too long. Not a problem, take it apart, chop off 4" of the top and bottom, put back together and try it some more. Still a bit too big, chop off 2 more inches. Seems to be working. But still not too small for assembly. Maybe I should put it on casters, remove the bottom, cut off 4" off the legs, put on the casters, and now I can start planning a nicer one.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    Since I'm still putting my shop back together, the overwhelming majority of my projects are shop projects since a lot of my tools are still in boxes and need somewhere to go. I just finished the beginning of major tool storage over one workbench that is currently completely covered in hand tools, to the point that I can't use it as a bench. Before that, I made a new outfeed table for the table saw. I still have a ton of projects that need to get finished, including building the shed for my dust collector and compressor and running all the lines, that need to get done before I can be organized enough to do large scale non-shop projects. That's what's killing me right now, the large tools are mostly in place, it's the small ones that are scattered everywhere, making it impossible to work.
    Hi Brain, yes it can get overwhelming. Like you I think I have the major unit in place..... my table saw, DC and chop saw station.... I am struggling with the location of smaller pieces.... drill press, jointer, planer, sander and band saw

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Larson View Post
    Welcome.
    I use several of the tips of this thread. One project for the house, one for the shop. Depending on the urgency of the requestor for the house project...
    I also try to use new techniques for shop projects for practice when I need to use it for a nicer piece.
    The one thing I did realize is to put something together using scraps and then use it for a while to see how it works in your flow. Case in point, I needed a combination outfeed, router, table top tool, assembly table. I made it to a size that I 'thought' I needed, only to find out it was about 4-6" too long. Not a problem, take it apart, chop off 4" of the top and bottom, put back together and try it some more. Still a bit too big, chop off 2 more inches. Seems to be working. But still not too small for assembly. Maybe I should put it on casters, remove the bottom, cut off 4" off the legs, put on the casters, and now I can start planning a nicer one.
    Hi Jay, thanks for the feedback.
    I just finished my DC so I dove into a couple "real" projects.... 3 speaker boxes for a friend and a replacement steamer trunk tray for my mother-in-law. However my mind is still turning on shop jigs and furniture LOL
    Yes I hope to practice on the shop furniture before getting to the "real" furniture.
    Seeing how it works is where I am at the moment with my DC piping.... I didn't seal anything yet as I am sure I am going to want to make tweaks

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Rosypal View Post
    Hi Brain, yes it can get overwhelming. Like you I think I have the major unit in place..... my table saw, DC and chop saw station.... I am struggling with the location of smaller pieces.... drill press, jointer, planer, sander and band saw.
    I've got all of my stationary tools set up, now it's just the tons and tons of hand tools that I have to get sorted out. I didn't bring along any of my storage from my old shop, I figured I'd just rebuild and that's what I've been doing, but it's been slow going. Plus, as I start to put things away, I'm cleaning and restoring all of my tools. Right now, I took all of my plane irons out and have resharpened all of them, just because. Next I'll do the same thing with all of my chisels, making sure they're all perfectly sharp. So not only do I have to build storage, I have to make sure every tool is sparkling before it gets put away.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    I've got all of my stationary tools set up, now it's just the tons and tons of hand tools that I have to get sorted out. I didn't bring along any of my storage from my old shop, I figured I'd just rebuild and that's what I've been doing, but it's been slow going. Plus, as I start to put things away, I'm cleaning and restoring all of my tools. Right now, I took all of my plane irons out and have resharpened all of them, just because. Next I'll do the same thing with all of my chisels, making sure they're all perfectly sharp. So not only do I have to build storage, I have to make sure every tool is sparkling before it gets put away.
    That does sound like a lot of work Brian..... but just think how great it will be to have them all tuned in and sharp