Thread: Question for domino users

Question for domino users

I've recently bought a used domino. I've got 5mm cutter and bullets. For building one off furniture in mostly 3/4 material, occasional cabinets, drawers, and construction grade 2x4 frames - what size domino cutters and other accessories should I be looking to get?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dempsey View Post
    I've recently bought a used domino. I've got 5mm cutter and bullets. For building one off furniture in mostly 3/4 material, occasional cabinets, drawers, and construction grade 2x4 frames - what size domino cutters and other accessories should I be looking to get?
    Bullets???
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Get the additional cutters as/if you need them. I own a spotty collection. My second was a 10mm. One small, one large, and you can double up when you need to go even larger. I rarely wish I had a whole bunch in between.

I think he meant tenons.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Bullets???
    Marty Schlosser
    Kingston, ON, Canada
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/apexwoodworks/
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ApexWoodworksFurniture/
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkmbvXb44CJ9t17SbHEWxJg/videos

I use the whole range of cutters.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dempsey View Post

For what you are describing I use 5mm all the time and occasionally 6mm for cabinet doors in the 7/8" thick range. The 8s and above are good to have but I would suggest to buy those as you need them. IMHO - you can't be without the 5 and 6 cutters and the 5 x30 and 6x40 tenons for the work you mention. I have all the accessories that came with the kit but so rarely use anything other than the basic machine that I would say - don't need anything else. My 2¢

Thing is the Domino is so useful that anything you build will likely incorporate them somehow. Eventually you will want the full range including the exterior grade tenons, aka, Dominos.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Murdoch View Post
    Thing is the Domino is so useful that anything you build will likely incorporate them somehow. Eventually you will want the full range including the exterior grade tenons, aka, Dominos.
    Yep, OP just get the Domino kit with all the cutters and a good sampling of the tenon sizes. Youll use them all eventually.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Yep, OP just get the Domino kit with all the cutters and a good sampling of the tenon sizes. Youll use them all eventually.
    ^^^^^^^^^^

What Ben said. I did that and have used them all in one project or another. If you have the bucks, spend them up front and have what you need when you need it.
    Regards,
    Dick

I just finished making a bookcase out of 3/4 Ply with some fixed shelves, all Joinery including the fixed shelves were done with 6mm Dominos, the 5mm didn't seem to have enough purchase in the Shelves, I haven't done any testing FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dindner View Post
    I just finished making a bookcase out of 3/4 Ply with some fixed shelves, all Joinery including the fixed shelves were done with 6mm Dominos, the 5mm didn't seem to have enough purchase in the Shelves, I haven't done any testing FWIW.
    As an aside - a comment about methods with shelves in particular. (Probably you all know this already in that case sorry for stating the obvious) BUT -

When setting shelves to cabinet sides with dominos always a good idea to register them BELOW centerline off the top of the shelf. Still allows for accurate registration but leaves more solid wood above the domino to support the intended weight.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Murdoch View Post
    As an aside - a comment about methods with shelves in particular. (Probably you all know this already in that case sorry for stating the obvious) BUT -

When setting shelves to cabinet sides with dominos always a good idea to register them BELOW centerline off the top of the shelf. Still allows for accurate registration but leaves more solid wood above the domino to support the intended weight.
    Thanks , I used the method from Half Inch Shy on you tube

https://youtu.be/vxpFQi7SheQ

Since I was working with 3/4 Ply the Dominos will come out on the lower half of the shelf. I guess I could have used even longer Dominos, the Shelves dimensions are 11" Deep and 28" Wide, I used four 6mm Dominos on each side, most likely will be enough for a shelf of books.

I've always used the 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 rule in sizing the domino to the stock. 3/4" plywood is about 19 mm. So the 6 mm domino is ideal for 3/4" stock. Seneca sells a handy plate that will automatically center you on 3/4" and 1/2" stock but when cutting the mortise in shelf sides, one can't use it so I just register to the bottom of the Domino...as the YouTube video Bill posted above indicates.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

for 3/4" sheets I use 6x40 tenons. I rarely use anything below 6mm.

I primarily use 6mm, 5mm, and 4mm. I use the 6mm for 3/4" solid hardwood projects, 5mm for plywood projects, and 4mm for 1/2" plywood projects such as drawer cases. I think I've used the others, but it's been a long time since I have. Since I primarily do built-ins, 4mm and 5mm are my most used of the 3 mentioned above.

Check out Seneca Woodworking's "Domiplate". I have found it immensely useful, one unanticipated really cool use is attaching face frames with an 1/8" lip. I would also suggest getting the Domino Assortment Systainer. It has the full assortment of Dominos and I have used every size over the last 4-5 years I've owned the 500.