Thread: Aqua Kem Plus, WB lacquer questions

Aqua Kem Plus, WB lacquer questions

I am in furniture and cabinet refinishing. Currently, I use solvent based products... Conversion Varnish, pre cat lacquer etc.. I have a kitchen coming up and the client would prefer that I use a Water based option. First off, my local Sherwin Williams has sampled out to me: Aqua Kem Plus line... The Aqua Kem Plus Surfacer,( comparable to high build undercoat). My questions begin here. I plan to prep by deglossing, sanding the current finish. Will the Aqua Kem Plus Surfacer bond or be compatible with a previously lacquered cabinet? --Note, SW says use only with unfinished cabinetry...pretty sure this is a generic case of CYA... Usually I prime, previously lacquered cabinets, with an oil base like, Zinsser or Pro Block. And then follow with pre cat lacquer. Also, This will be an on site spray for the cabinet frames. Tips?I'm having a difficult time finding information on waterbased applications that are similar.

Are there additives to increase drying time? How fast does the Aqua Kem line dry? How well does the surfacer sand? If I decide to Prime with a waterbased or oil primer, will Aqua Kem Plus play nice on top? Any direction is greatly appreciated.

I used Kem-Aqua Plus for several kitchens and five different Olive Garden Restaurants (repair work they specified the finish). The stuff is great. There is a retarder; it only comes in gallons and you only use an oz or so per gallon of finish... Depending on the temp, humidity, etc. you can usually sand and re-coat in less than an hour.

I used it over de-waxed shellac; no problems. FYI; Zinsser is not oil based; it is shellac... the universal sealer.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Hi Scott Holmes, thanks for the information! specifically, have you used the Kem Aqua plus surfacer? I want to try it but may have to wait for a project without a prior finish. I did get the retarder. Do you prefer to use HVLP or airless? Did you feel the retarder helped with micro foaming?

I'm pretty familiar with Zinsser, but actually Zinsser is a brand name, that does have shellac products but also water born and oil based options.

I always used Zinsser de-waxed shellac (Sealcoat) to seal the wood and get a warmer color.

I use an Air-Assisted airless and I have also use a conversion gun, and a conventional gun; never had an issue with foaming.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.