Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: keeping the chest closed

keeping the chest closed

Hi all!

I'm looking for inspiration for my new tool chest. The lid will have hinges on the back side but I can't decide how to keep it closed.

The lid (without battens) is a little less than 3/8'' or 9 mm thick and I'm looking for something neat and light. I don't need to lock the chest, nor will I carry it around much.

It would be nice with a solution in wood, but I haven't seen anything that would fit. I'm sure many of you have tried something out, or seen something somewhere that could fit. Like with a wedge or pin or hasp or similar

Let the ideas (and pictures) flow. Looking forward to get some input.

IMG_0704.jpg

If you won't lock it or move it (as in bouncing in the back of a truck) I don't see you need one. You will need a handle. A piece of nice rope from the handle to a simple cleat would suffice, the rope could be your handle. Two handles, each across or between the battens may tie things together appearance wise, as you obviously wanted the battens on the outside.
    If the top is not plywood the movement of the top may be an issue with the battens.

The weight of the lid will keep it closed.

You don't need a handle if you cut a shallow hand relief into the face, just below the lid.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Just a Brass Hook & Eye.....

Used these on mine work fine use one of the two on the right.

doorlatch.jpg

front view.jpg
    or..
    book's cover.jpg
    These might be a bit too wide..
    front view.jpg

thank you guys!

You may be right, that I don't need to keep it closed at all, just leave it as it is and let gravity do its thing.

A relief in the front is a good idea for a handle.

Robert: Do these have a name if I want to search for them?

Steven: Thanks for chiming in with some pics!

Blog Entries
    I'm thinking a rope with a spliced eye that goes over another rope with a shaped wood dowel through the end so it "buttons" closed. This is the closest I could find to illustrate this. http://www.vitolo.it/rv/images/1/10281.jpg

Note- I just learned not to search for "rope chest closure" unless I want to see a lot of bra pics! Not that I'm complaining, but my wife walked in just at that moment and I was like: "I CAN EXPLAIN!"

"Robert: Do these have a name if I want to search for them?"

Hi Oskar,
    I searched a bit and it looks like this item: Stanley "CD5365 chest latch". (I found it by searching for "tool box latches", to my surprise. That search term brings up a lot of other choices too.)

Hope it helps!
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 02-09-2017 at 6:30 AM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I'm thinking a rope with a spliced eye that goes over another rope with a shaped wood dowel through the end so it "buttons" closed. This is the closest I could find to illustrate this. http://www.vitolo.it/rv/images/1/10281.jpg

Note- I just learned not to search for "rope chest closure" unless I want to see a lot of bra pics! Not that I'm complaining, but my wife walked in just at that moment and I was like: "I CAN EXPLAIN!"
    good advice!

A rope latch could work. But it might get sloppy over time, so it has to be made in a way that it can be tightened up.

Frederick: Thanks! Will check it out.

Robert: Do these have a name if I want to search for them?
    You can find them at Lee Valley Hardware

Thank you Robert!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oskar Sedell View Post
    good advice!

A rope latch could work. But it might get sloppy over time, so it has to be made in a way that it can be tightened up.

Frederick: Thanks! Will check it out.
    Use nylon three strand rope. Buy the good stuff and it will not stretch. Splicing an eye is easy if you have never done it- just watch a few YouTube vids on it.

Blog Entries
    For one pair of my belt is a rope with a monkey's fist knot on one end and a slip knot (hangman's noose) on the other. Works good at holding my shorts up. It would likely do well as a rope knot for holding a chest closed.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

For an all wood solution you could attach a block to the inside of the lid set back to clear the chest face as you close the lid.
    Through the chest face and through the lid block - bore a hole through which you can push a dowel with a handle.
    The handle could be a simple bow tie or something carved - like a super sized netsuke style carving, or even a turks head if you
    want to introduce rope.

Simple and elegant
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge