Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: keeping the chest closed

thanks for the suggestions guys. I know how to splice three-stranded rope, but didn't know that quality nylon rope does not stretch.

Sam: I like your all wood suggestion. Something along this line might be the winner in the end.

I'm building the insert trays now and looking forward to start using the chest. Should clear apartment of some mess..

Of course Nylon rope stretches. That is one of the reasons it is used for anchor line. But I feel it makes a very crude latch.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Note- I just learned not to search for "rope chest closure" unless I want to see a lot of bra pics! Not that I'm complaining, but my wife walked in just at that moment and I was like: "I CAN EXPLAIN!"
    About 10 years ago I was trying to find out how the Japanese clamped their glue ups. I searched "Traditional Japanese Clamps"

My wife broke out laughing at my loud, annoyed utterance " But nipples aren't important!" after scrolling halfway down the results.

I still don't know much about older Japanese clamps, and my wife still says she wants that phrase framed somewhere in the house on a sampler or something. (although, searches have gotten better, so maybe the results wouldn't be as bad now)
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Of course Nylon rope stretches. That is one of the reasons it is used for anchor line. But I feel it makes a very crude latch.
    True, but we are talking a few inches of line. My daughter's cradle hangs with 1/2" nylon and she still plays in it at 3 years old and it hasn't budged.

Just let Gravity do it's job..
    Tool chest#2.jpgtool chest #2 opened.jpg
    Maybe add a little "extra" weight to the lid?

What about rare earth magnets in the lid and the opposing pole in the case? If you balanced the force vs distance just right, you could get a really clean open and shut.
    There's never enough time to do it right, but there's always enough time to do it over.