Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Split-top Roubo and BenchCrafted hardware

Split-top Roubo and BenchCrafted hardware

First time I’ve started a thread, so please be gentle with me….

My dad has been gigging me to design a workbench that he and I could build together, so after researching, over-analyzing and procrastinating it to death, I bought BenchCrafted plans and hardware. Their plans seemed to check all the right boxes, and reviews of BC hardware were first rate.

The BC hardware arrived as an early Christmas present, and I want to compliment BC on both their quality and customer service. The tail vise arrived with the wrong hand-wheel in the package (it was apparently for a Moxon). I sent an e-mail, they asked for a picture - - I assume to verify I hadn’t lost my mind (…it has been known to happen), and then promptly sent me the correct one with pre-paid RMA for the incorrect hand-wheel. Done.

This is our ‘before’:
    OldBench1.JPG OldBench2.JPG
    For those agonizing over bench design and materials, Dad built this 25+ yrs ago with recycled 4x4 cedar fence posts, some 2x material recovered from the burn pile on a construction site, and a couple of pieces of scrap plywood. When the top got ‘ugly’, Bad-Dad just laminated the top with scrap oak T&G flooring. It’s still ugly, but between the two of us, it has been the support for a couple of houses full of furniture, etc. …And the hardware storage boxes make it rock solid (600lbs can do that!). Its only downfall is a limited ability to clamp pieces flat for plane work.

And this is the starting point:
    Beech.JPG
    200bdft of 8/4 beech.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 02-08-2017 at 9:23 AM.

I'm horrible about documenting the work I'm doing, and there is not a great deal that is new and different, so I'll keep this brief.

Glue up was uneventful (can I borrow a few clamps, I used all of mine):
    Clamps.JPG

BC's plans are very well put together, but I'll offer a couple of warnings:
    1) As mentioned in another thread, the wear plate for the BC criss-cross is attached with a single small wood screw. Logic (flawed tho' mine may be) told us to 'hang' it by placing the screw at the top. While assembling the base, we used the bench-bolt hole in the leg as a guide for extending the hole into the front stretcher. The screw intrudes into the leg's bolt hole, and the 1/2" brad-point will have to be replaced. So, I'd recommend you mount the wear plate with the screw at the bottom - - or shift it up/down if your design allows. (you could pull the screw before you drill the extension hole, but when you put the screw back it will hit the 1/2" assembly bolt. Any way you look at it something has to move.)

2) BC tail vise install went well, with one very minor glitch. We followed all the template locations and dimensions, but there is no room for the washer and nut on one of the flange bolts for the hand wheel. It will require a minor chisel modification to allow room for the washer (~1/8") - -
    Overall look at test fit of tail vice:
    TailVice_fitting.JPG
    Not enough room for the washer:
    TailVice_bolt.JPG
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 02-08-2017 at 9:56 AM.

Malcolm,

Looks like you are doing a great job. Your dad's bench looks good also. I really like the hardware storage unit. I have been looking for something like that without success. A bench is a lot of work, as you are finding out. However, the pay off is worth it. If you dad's bench has been around for 25+ years, think how long your new bench will be around...

Keep the photo's coming, Sam

Sam, thank you. It has been a lot of work, but the time with my dad has been great. This has been an opportunity to visit as much as anything, and I think my dad feels like this can be a part of his legacy.

As for the 'old wreck', he wants it on the burn pile, but I will try to work it in as a storage table/drawer-cabinet against a wall - - and maybe leave the QR vise on it, as well as mount an old, unused bench vise on it. Never can tell when you might need to pound metal.

Very nice, I just started my Benchcrafted bench journey last weekend. I hope to finish the leg structure this weekend. Where did you find the beech here in the metroplex?

Why a split-top, anyway? One would think that one contiguous top would be more stable and more likely to remain in the same plane.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Newman View Post
    Very nice, I just started my Benchcrafted bench journey last weekend. I hope to finish the leg structure this weekend. Where did you find the beech here in the metroplex?
    Thanks Cory. I got (what I think was) a good deal on it from Plywood Co. of Ft. Worth (out near Meachum) at $4/bdft.

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Why a split-top, anyway? One would think that one contiguous top would be more stable and more likely to remain in the same plane.
    That was certainly both my experience and initial thinking as well, but what converted me was the construction aspects. In the BC plan the two tops are each slightly less than 12". So, I can get it thru my J/P (with help). The ability to fasten work to the top via a clamp thru the gap is intriguing, but since I've never had the ability to do this before, I don't know how much I'll actually use it. If, in the end, I don't need or use the clamp-thru feature, I can bolt the gap stop down and have a 'solid' top (but still unbolt and re-flatten with J/P).

Also, I'm not terribly worried about the two tops getting out-of-plane, since they sit on a common, and fairly substantial, top stretcher.

Blog Entries
    That's some nice wood- going to be a lovely bench.

Cool, I was leaning maple but that's a good price

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    That's some nice wood- going to be a lovely bench.
    Thanks! I was aiming for "strong", "massive", "tough", "manly", "versatile" - - maybe "utilitarian", or even "sweat-stained, but adequate". However, I'm flexible - - "lovely" will work for me too!

My first time to work with beech. The straight grain is easy to mill and very forgiving. I haven't weighed any components yet, but density makes me think it will hold up well. Although it was all plain-sawn, ripping many of the wide pieces has left a perfect quarter-sawn edge that I tried to organize into the tops. It should be....lovely? (At least until I spill a quart of stain on it.)

Almost finished. Still need to make dogs, get a couple of hold-fasts; and apply finish to the top.

Front laminate is a NASTY piece of bubinga with grain reversing every 6"-8". It was doing an excellent imitation of a corkscrew. Gently jointed it twice over the course of 4 days and each time it twisted again. Finally, I had to cut in half to salvage the 1-1/2" I needed. I added the key to reinforce the scarf joint.

The gap stop is wider than BC's plan, so to add a couple of inches to the width, its 26"W x 87"L.

IMG_0615[1].jpg IMG_0616[431].jpg IMG_0617[429].jpg

I had the chance to use the BC Glide leg vise today. Works just like BC's videos - - spin the handle, and step back - - it locks up tight. Really pleased with the function and grip of the vise.

My expectations of quality have gotten so jaded that I find myself in amazement at how well this thing works. And I could get used to it!

Many desirable aspects to the split top design. One thing many don't consider is that it solves some wood movement issues. All the movement can occur in the gap keeping the outside edges flush with the legs. One that I didn't realize until I started using my bench was that you can put tools that normally want to roll off your bench on that gap and they stay put. This is more convenient that I realized.

Ron

I've often wondered about the purpose of the gap. Certainly I wouldn't want to clutter the bench top with tools dangling right in the middle of it. On my small bubinga bench I have never noticed any issue concerning wood movement. Its top has remained nice and flat.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."