Thread: Leigh Dovetail Dust Collector

Leigh Dovetail Dust Collector

Does anyone use the dust collector router attachment sold by Leigh? It seems that if you have a decent vacuum, it would catch most of the chips/dust produced. I'm a bit concerned about whether it makes a router much more difficult to handle. I'm also concerned about the $86 price tag .

I have one.

I used the Leigh jig to make a set of kitchen cabinets without the dust collector/router support. Sitting on a stool in front of the jig to operate the router, I was literally waist deep in chips. For the next big dovetail project, I bought the dust collector attachment and it makes a world of difference. Dust collection is ~95% effective, and surprisingly the router support feature is a huge help. Yeah, it's choking-expensive, but it has been worth it to me. Hope this helps.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    I have one.

I used the Leigh jig to make a set of kitchen cabinets without the dust collector/router support. Sitting on a stool in front of the jig to operate the router, I was literally waist deep in chips. For the next big dovetail project, I bought the dust collector attachment and it makes a world of difference. Dust collection is ~95% effective, and surprisingly the router support feature is a huge help. Yeah, it's choking-expensive, but it has been worth it to me. Hope this helps.
    I had the same experience and found the accessory very useful.
    NOW you tell me...

+1 on Malcolm's comment. Assume you're talking about the Leigh VRS attachment - it works very well and adds stability to the router when coming out of the guide slot rather than making it more difficult to handle

I have D4R Pro with VRS vaccum and router support. I concur with what everyone said above, it works well. IMO, it is a must, and a small price for dust free working environment(not 100%, at least 90%, but no airborne dust)
    Last edited by James Zhu; 02-08-2017 at 10:49 AM.

As with the others, I found the Leigh Vac attachment to be extremely efficient at chip collection and agree that it added router stability. I coated my guide fingers and the bearing surface of the vac attachment with Johnsons paste wax and it made it a joy to use. It is well designed and equally well made.
    Dick Mahany.

I agree with the others, It really makes a difference. I can relate to Malcolm, because that is how I use the machine, sitting on a stool in front of the dovetail jig. Chips fly, and I am wearing all of them. $86 is a lot of money for what you get. However, it does a really good job. Cry once, and enjoy.

Sam

Well, I guess that settles it. The vote (so far) is unanimous ! Thanks for all the feedback.

I agree with everyone else. It's well worth it, but I'm sure you'll be going through a lot of bags for you vacuum unless you have a dust deputy.

It would take a lot of dovetails to fill my shop vac...

I have a 12" jig but have found a 24" VRS for sale. Could this be adapted to my jig or would it be too much trouble?

Ken, possibly. The VRS is more or less an extrusion with plastic caps at either end. The caps have magnets in them to hold it in place. As long as one cap can be removed and replaced without damaging it, its a simple cross cut of the extrusion to shorten the 24". Never tried removing mine. Depending on how much you are saving, might be worth a try. Of course, check to make sure all VRS add on parts are included in the sale

Same opinion here as many others.....would not want to use the Leigh Jig without the dust collection . It works really well and makes cleanup after dovetailing so much easier.

Jim

In case this subject comes up again, here's the latest.

I contacted Leigh and they said if I buy a VRS24 -D model, I could cut it down without any problems. If it's the older VRS24, then it would take many parts to adapt it and would not be worth the expense.

I must be the oddball...I have one and do not use it. I just let the chips fly and sweep them up later. But, I stand using my Leigh jig.