Thread: Cedar Garden Bench

Cedar Garden Bench

Built this bench using a total of two screws - rest were shop made Dominos. Some of the tenons were 4" wide requiring multiple mortise cuts. Dominos made assembly a breeze.

Couple years ago I purchased a like new DF700. The more I use it the more I like it. I used it on a crib project then on this:

Mike

Nice Looking Bench Mike.
    I got to ask, where were the screws used?
    I am not saying go kill all the stupid people......
    I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Howard View Post
    Nice Looking Bench Mike.
    I got to ask, where were the screws used?
    Ha, I should have mentioned, there is a center support for the seat and I planned to use tenons but boxed myself in and used screws instead in the lower back rail.

Mime

That looks great!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

nice work, Mike...
    Jerry

Hi Mike,
    That's a classic looking bench. One small thing I noticed, the front seat slat is not your best board. Over time the knots will release from the cedar and create sharp edges to catch on clothing at the back of the knee. I would have put my best board at the front edge.
    Very glad it's not finished, it will keep far longer that way. I would stand the feet in 1/2" of 50% varnish for an hour to seal the ends, but you probably did that already.

My set of white cedar Adirondack chairs have lived outside for 27 years now. I remember the brass screws cost a lot for each chair. Outdoor furniture is one place I don't mind screws as the joints created must dry quickly, there is a huge amount of wood movement outdoors and screws can accommodate that.

What did you make the dominos from?
    Last edited by William Fretwell; 02-26-2017 at 8:55 AM.