Thread: Bass ukulele string tuning pegs too small for nylon string

Bass ukulele string tuning pegs too small for nylon string

What can be done to accommodate the very thick bass string for the ukulele. The tuning winders fit the small nylon strings but the larger one don't fit the slotted pegs. Is there a quick fix or accessorie that can be added to the winder peg? I was thinking of trying to make something to add on top of winder to fit the larger strings. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Bert

I'm assuming friction pegs? Are these Perfection pegs?

I'd assume that you could simply ream out a bigger hole in the peg for a string.
    If you don't have fancy tools, you could probably use a drill bit and a power drill.
    Alternatively, you could try rolling a thin bit of sandpaper and running it through.

Personally, I'd just use a drill bit on a hand drill and enlarge the hole gradually.

You should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Delisle View Post
    What can be done to accommodate the very thick bass string for the ukulele. The tuning winders fit the small nylon strings but the larger one don't fit the slotted pegs. Is there a quick fix or accessorie that can be added to the winder peg? I was thinking of trying to make something to add on top of winder to fit the larger strings. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Bert

Thanks Matt, however the pegs are geared tuners with a slot in the post. Not enough meat to ealarge the slot. I will be trying to make an epoxy piece that can bit fitted over the peg.

Thanks Matt, however the pegs are geared tuners with a slot in the post. Not enough meat to ealarge the slot. I will be trying to make an epoxy piece that can bit fitted over the peg.
    I don't know what your tuners look like or how they are constructed, but my first thought (since I have metal working equipment) would be to use the geared part if possible and rebuild the post from scratch. Perhaps a friend could do this? Might be expensive for a machine shop to make one but it might not hurt to ask.

What material is the peg? Brass is a joy to work. I've even turned it on the wood lathe with standard hand tools.

JKJ

Thanks for the idea John. I am thinking that with some of the epoxies available I may be able to shape a piece and turn the profile.

Thanks for the idea John. I am thinking that with some of the epoxies available I may be able to shape a piece and turn the profile.
    I've been pretty happy with the ol' JB Weld for things around the farm. I can't remember any time it failed me.

The only problem I've had with JB Weld was gluing a small super magnet into a hole drilled in a steel fence staple holder - the magnetic field caused the ferromagnetic powder in the epoxy to climb up the side and mound on top the magnet! I sat there and continuously pushed the epoxy back into place until it hardened enough! I've used it for fencing for years now.

Are you building a uke or repairing?

KJ

Actually my son built the base Ukulele and opted to use the nylon strings, easier for the youngsters to play it.

I'd look around in the luthiers lounge at ukulele underground. I've seen several threads on this topic there.
    Nelson