Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need a tool suggestion

If it were me, I would simply tell SWMBO you need a flush cutting oscillating saw, specifically a Fein ;-) ;-).
    Quick search I found these blades.

My suggestion is take it easy and approach from below. Cut the entire piece out with 2 cross cuts and simply fill the gap with a piece of wood and paint it.
    Have an assistant handy with a spray bottle to keep the blade wet.

Best ideas I've seen.. m y dremel as always been a disappointment anyway - and both the cutting approach and the filler make sense to me. Sadly..here's what amazon.ca has for the cheapest fein:

by FEIN

CDN$ 249.00Prime
    Usually ships in 1 to 2 months

More buying choices
    CDN$ 249.00new(2 offers)

Eligible for FREE Shipping

1 - 2 months! ? I'll see if someone has one in Calgary (or Kalispell since II'm off to whitefish in two weeks anyway).

The $35 HF VS multi-tool works great and will last many years. You can spend a lot on a multi-tool, but there's no reason you have to - or should, IMO. I just got done cutting some plaster with embedded wire mesh in it and then some engineered flooring with my HF one. An hour of nearly continuous work. I was beat; the tool was fine, though I did wear out one semi-circular blade along the way.

John

my diamond blade cost 99$ . i do own the fien and an off brand .this is a case of you get what you pay for .you are on this sight so your a builder of some sort so this is a good purchase you most likely will not regret . this is going to be slow going .would appreciate hearing how it goes and what tools you used . projects like this come my way all to often .they do make sawall blades for cutting stone /tile .
    report back .

What i did

1) I used a diamond tile cutting blade on a jigsaw with the guard removed to get the cut vertical and within about 5/8th inch of the wall

2) used a 1/8th drill from the top to cut through the remainder

3) once the thing was out, i used a tile saw to slice it lengthwise - to produce a 2" and a 1.5" slice.

4) attached a wood mini-shelf to the wall below where it used to be

5) used PL glue (not epoxy) to put the 1.5" wide strip back - 1/2" under the tile, 1" out on the "shelf"

6) put the range back.

She who must be pleased <EM>is</EM> pleased.

Thanks for all the suggestions!