Thread: Best Low Cost Entry Level CNC for Sign Making

Best Low Cost Entry Level CNC for Sign Making

Just wondering what options are out there for an entry level CNC for making signs out of the usual materials like plastics and wood. I'm familiar with Camaster and like the Multicam SignMaker Express just don't know the cost yet.

Right now looking for something to get the job done, it will not be running all day every day. Helping someone weigh the cost of outsourcing the CNC work vs. buying a machine.

I use my Camaster Stinger I to make small signs but I wish I had larger. What size signs does this person want to make?

Ultimately a 4x8 machine would be best but for most of the work a Stinger 2 4x4 would work. I was curious about the durability of the Stinger series but sounds like you've had good luck with it. I see they use a Milwaukee router, is there any accurate speed control?

I see some of the other makers have attachments for ADA signs and oscillating cutters for semi-ridged materials like foam. I guess it would be nice to have a big one with all the attachments but prices creep up fast.

I've seen the stuff from Camaster, Multicam and Vision just didn't know if there were other makers out there at some entry level price points.

I have a Shopbot that I use a lot making parts for signs and signs. I cut for 6 different sign shops and have had no real problems

Many days I have run my Stinger all day long and it has never skipped a beat. I have the 2.5 hp router model but having had 3 years of experience, I would recommend both a bigger machine and a real spindle.

Thanks, I appreciate the advise and suggestions. Two new factors came into play as I was looking, power requirements for a large machine and getting a welded frame machine in the door. The Shopbot appears to be bolted together which could be a factor.

A larger factor than size and application is your budget. That alone is going to determine whether you'll be looking at a light weight hobby machine or something more substantial.

I know of one person that moved a full size Camaster Cobra through a man door. He removed the gantry and turned it on its side. It can be done.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I have run jobs that took 18 hrs on my Shopbot with no problems. Yes it is bolt together but if you use Loctite red It is not going to be a problem. I do cut a lot of custom Slot wall on it also lots of MDF dust and a big cutter.

Did you go from a few hundred dollar arduino based grbl machine to a many multiple thousand dollar machine in a cammaster Brian lol?