Thread: Choosing a stain

Choosing a stain

Everytime I start a new project and I want to figure out what color to stain it I always end up trying some of what I have, and then going out and buying a few random cans of stuff until I find something I like. The result is I've got 20 or so cans of half used stain from a bunch of different manufacturers. Has anyone figured out a better system? I've been looking into General Finishes Enduro Ready to Match system, which looks pretty good. Its only 10 different cans and you can mix them with different formulas to come up with pretty much any color. Only problem is that the color samples and formula set is $400.

I'm following this one. I've spent more money on finishes that I'll never use after testing them.

You need 5 stains - a basic brown, red, yellow, green and black. With these you can mix anything as they all modify each other. The basic brown is a bit of a luxury but it is an easy starting point. It's how I was taught and it works for Queen Elizabeth ll's furniture.

If you want to go further, there are the different types of stains for different effects. Cheers

I wish I had more options when choosing stain colors. I am severely colorblind and am limited to the colors available from the manufacturers. My wife tries to help me, but she gets carried away with mixing and doesn't keep good records of what she mixed. So I'm stuck if she doesn't mix enough for the entire project because she will never be able to duplicate it again! I have a friend who is a retired painter. He used to carry a tote of dyes into his jobs and custom mix colors for staining trim. He had an amazing eye and the ability to nail colors perfectly again and again. I was kind of jealous...

I have the Gemini stain system and use it everyday. It's nine colors and a clear. You will need a white base if you do lots of greys which seem to be popular right now. Also a clear base is a must. Almost every color I make has clear in it. Dark stains benefit from a clear in that it keeps the color from becoming muddy. Like the OP I had several cans of stain that I would never use again in the shop. This system allows you to make the exact amount you need and is easily repeatable.