Thread: Comments on a used 2004 Laguna LT18 band saw

Comments on a used 2004 Laguna LT18 band saw

I am curious as to what people think of the 2004 Laguna LT18 band currently posted on the Louisville Craigslist site.

Description:

Very low hours. This is the Italian made version.
    Comes with the mobile base, cover, mitre, manuals, and numerous blades including 3 carbide re-saw blades. (The extra blades alone are worth around $800)

Cost: $2500

Is the 2004 model comparable to the newer models? If not, any clear differences that make a new saw worthwhile?
    Is $2500 reasonable?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

David
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-11-2017 at 12:55 AM.

People might call me insane but I think it is very reasonable. Were I to be a little bit further along in my financial savings for a band saw I might be loading my friends truck and heading to Kentucky for that very saw.

My good friend John has an Lt18 Italian band saw, it will cut veneer and resaw like nobodies business.

Strongly considering the regular Laguna 18 inch band saw when I get into position financially, which should be in the next few months.

One has been sitting on the Buffalo Craigslist for $3200 for awhile...but I think $2500 is much more reasonable.

...and also, three expensive blades are also included in the deal.....

Check the price of a new one and go from there. The mobile base and extra carbide blades add value. Looks like a very nice find because of condition and equipment. I paid ~$1500 for my slightly used 20" Agazzani with base and carbide blade, years ago.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Been the owner of a LT18 since 2001; no problems at all since then. That is a really good price for that much machine, especially compared to the new offerings from Laguna. And those resaw blades are well worth the admission price. You will be pleased.

Nice looking saw but I think it's priced a little too high. I had one exactly like that and regretted selling it later.

Not sure why he has 3 carbide resaw blades but they get dull just like any blade and if they are dull they're not worth much. If the blades were new then the price would be okay. But then why would you need 3?

My $.02

Quote Originally Posted by john lawson View Post
    ...Not sure why he has 3 carbide resaw blades...why would you need 3?...
    You need at least 2, 1 on the machine and 1 for a spare. And having different pitches could be handy. Those 3 carbide blades might cost 100'$ new.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by john lawson View Post
    Nice looking saw but I think it's priced a little too high. I had one exactly like that and regretted selling it later.

Not sure why he has 3 carbide resaw blades but they get dull just like any blade and if they are dull they're not worth much. If the blades were new then the price would be okay. But then why would you need 3?

My $.02
    Any advice you have for a guy seeking a used bandsaw on a budget would be nice!

If you can walk out of there with a heavy-duty 18" bandsaw in good condition and a new carbide blade for $2.5k, that seems okay.

Make sure the saw works to your satisfaction. (drop price significantly if they aren't able to demo it)

Check the blades. If they are dull, you might be able to talk the price down.
    (a pile of used blades really aren't worth anything)

Matt

Try the saw. Satisfy yourself that it works as it should. If you are seriously considering giving him $2500 for the saw with the 3 blades then have him change each blade and try each one of them. If you have to push the wood through with very much effort the blade is dull. Knock off $150 for each dull blade.

You might wind up somewhere near the middle. But if you are happy then you got a good deal whatever the price.

Resaw King at 150" sells new at $250 each. Laguna will sharpen RK's for $45, and they do it well. Used and perhaps dull those have some value. Kinked--not so much. Brand new LT-18 is $3,949, mobility kit $99--so with 3 RK's the package would be $4,800 plus probably shipping. In good working order, if not needing much more than say tires--$2,500 seems plausible to me. (it's the explaining i'd have to do afterward that doesn't seem plausible--but I've always been forgiven in the past!!)

I've got a 14" Bulgarian made Laguna from 2004, with a 2 HP Baldor--other than some paint scrapes, i'd put it up against any brand new machine. Paid $700 delivered about 2 years ago, with a RK and a few other new blades. She loves to cut wood.
    earl

Quote Originally Posted by Earl McLain View Post
    Resaw King at 150" sells new at $250 each. Laguna will sharpen RK's for $45, and they do it well. Used and perhaps dull those have some value. Kinked--not so much. Brand new LT-18 is $3,949, mobility kit $99--so with 3 RK's the package would be $4,800 plus probably shipping. In good working order, if not needing much more than say tires--$2,500 seems plausible to me. (it's the explaining i'd have to do afterward that doesn't seem plausible--but I've always been forgiven in the past!!)

I've got a 14" Bulgarian made Laguna from 2004, with a 2 HP Baldor--other than some paint scrapes, i'd put it up against any brand new machine. Paid $700 delivered about 2 years ago, with a RK and a few other new blades. She loves to cut wood.
    earl
    This is really good to know, Thinking a Laguna might wind up in my shop in a few months.