Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking at a New Bandsaw

Looking at a New Bandsaw

I usually post in the Turners Forum but have come here to hopefully gain some knowledge from members experience with bandsaws. I have an old Craftsman 12" bandsaw that works great since it's about 30 years old and never had an issue other than a couple of bearings I replaced. The problem is it only has a height capacity of about 6.5" and it really limits the size of bowl blanks I want to cut. I see Lee Valley now has a Rikon 14" Deluxe bandsaw with a 13" cut capacity advertised for $1349.00 Canadian. They are in a Free Shipping promotion right now till Feb. 21 and the saw is available on Feb. 27 but I think if I placed an order now they would still give the deal. If not it's only a 45 min. drive and I could pick it up. My question is, what do you guys think about the price and the Rikon brand in general? I would really appreciate hearing your pro's and con's before I commit to the deal......thanks

Barry you might get more help if you listed the model number. I went to Lee Valley and checked it out,it looks like a pretty good unit. Canadian woodworker had Rikon bandsaws,maybe check them for prices. The only Rikon tool I own is the 8'' slow speed grinder. Hopefully someone with Rikon bandsaw experience can help out here. Good luck ,Mike.

Barry, you might also want to keep your eye out for a good used "heavier" bandsaw, particularly one with a Euro type design.

Rikon has a decent reputation for providing reasonably good machines in the "upper low end to mid-range" market. You have some other mass produced brands north of the border that have potential choices for you, too. I'm sure there are other members who can provide the brands.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Barry you might get more help if you listed the model number. I went to Lee Valley and checked it out,it looks like a pretty good unit. Canadian woodworker had Rikon bandsaws,maybe check them for prices. The only Rikon tool I own is the 8'' slow speed grinder. Hopefully someone with Rikon bandsaw experience can help out here. Good luck ,Mike.

Sorry Mike...thought I had... the model is 10-326...

Thanks Jim....have been looking at Craftex from Busy Bee......but I don't see a lot of good comments about them....

Is "Busy Bee" the Grizzly equivalent "up north"??

General International might also have something affordable.

Having a tool that has some weight and heft can be beneficial to you as you work with those heavy, wet log sections to get them ready for turning. I originally had a 14" Jet saw and while it could cut the wood, the heft of the machine didn't contribute much to the "feeling of comfort" while doing the job. It wiggled a lot... After I upgraded to the beefy bandsaw I have in my shop, it didn't move at all when I threw a section of a wet log on the table to cut a round or whatever. The heavier machines can also handle the slightly thicker blades that are better suited to cutting wet wood. This is why a heavier used saw, if you can find one, might be a better fit "for what you do" if you aim to make larger turning blanks.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I agree with Jim re an older, heavier saw. If you have room, bigger saws are often cheaper. Band saws last a long time. I have an old 32" Crescent with babbet bearings that has run almost daily for 35 years with no major maintenance.

I recommend hanging on to the old Craftsman - I have one I keep an 1/8" blade on - very handy.

For the same budget I'd get a larger, used saw.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I had an old Grizzly saw with 8" capacity that worked well for cutting bowl blanks but the 8" capacity was frustrating so I sold it and bought a Laguna 1412. At Woodcraft the Rikon and Laguna stand side by side and from looking at them closely and reading a lot about both saws they are both great saws for the pricepoint. If preparing bowl blanks is your priority I would second the suggestion about buying a heavy well powered used saw with good height capacity. I also agree that hanging on to the old saw is a good idea. I wish I hadn't sold my old Grizzly!

I bought a Laguna 1412 almost two years ago. I am very pleased with it but my cutting is fairly easy and involves only dry wood so I'm not testing it like some of the other respondents might.

I still have my smaller BS but will sell it soon as I just don't have space. Like everybody else, I'd like to keep it.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 02-10-2017 at 8:00 AM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Larger used would pair up nicely with your Cman.Put a narrow blade on it for contour work,set up the 20...or larger with 3/4 or better resaw blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Is "Busy Bee" the Grizzly equivalent "up north"??

General International might also have something affordable.

Having a tool that has some weight and heft can be beneficial to you as you work with those heavy, wet log sections to get them ready for turning. I originally had a 14" Jet saw and while it could cut the wood, the heft of the machine didn't contribute much to the "feeling of comfort" while doing the job. It wiggled a lot... After I upgraded to the beefy bandsaw I have in my shop, it didn't move at all when I threw a section of a wet log on the table to cut a round or whatever. The heavier machines can also handle the slightly thicker blades that are better suited to cutting wet wood. This is why a heavier used saw, if you can find one, might be a better fit "for what you do" if you aim to make larger turning blanks.
    I am looking for one of these myself. Yes, as the owner of a 14 inch Jet, a 14 inch machine is very limited in many ways. I want at least an 18 inch size and at least 3 HP. That seems like a reasonable size.

Quote Originally Posted by David Sloan View Post
    I had an old Grizzly saw with 8" capacity that worked well for cutting bowl blanks but the 8" capacity was frustrating so I sold it and bought a Laguna 1412. At Woodcraft the Rikon and Laguna stand side by side and from looking at them closely and reading a lot about both saws they are both great saws for the pricepoint. If preparing bowl blanks is your priority I would second the suggestion about buying a heavy well powered used saw with good height capacity. I also agree that hanging on to the old saw is a good idea. I wish I hadn't sold my old Grizzly!
    I have only gotten rid of a couple of tools since I started woodworking and I regret getting rid of both of them, actually. One was a Craftsman router I gave to my neighbor when he started woodworking. At least I have another woodworker who lives nearby when I need a hand with something!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W Smith View Post
    Larger used would pair up nicely with your Cman.Put a narrow blade on it for contour work,set up the 20...or larger with 3/4 or better resaw blade.

This is my thinking. Putting a Carter stabilizer on my 14 inch, looking for a nice used machine for resaw work.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I really think that a 14" bandsaw would be plenty power for me (1 3/4 HP) since I'm making due now with the Craftsman at 1/2 HP. You got me thinking though about keeping the Craftsman as well instead of selling it. I think I'll take a look at the Rikon 10-326 when they get it at Lee Valley around Feb. 27th. Thanks again.