Thread: A nice surprise from my Ford Dealer

A nice surprise from my Ford Dealer

My wife parked her Ford C-Max and ran the front nose of the car over a curb that was a bit too high. When she backed off, the plastic air dam behind the bumper broke loose from its plastic rivets, and almost came completely off. Now, this is not just your usual air dam, it is like a skid plate looking thing that extends (in three parts) back way back past the motor. It is a sort of streamlining belly pan (plug-in electric car) that helps with gas mileage.

She limped it home very slowly, since the front of the pan was hitting pavement on any dip in the road. I took a look, and it had ripped out one of the plastic rivets from the bodywork, but the others came out without damaging the surrounding bodywork. It is absolutely impossible to get your hand down from the engine/motor compartment, and I could not get to half the area I needed to, without a lift, and the car is too low for ramps. No kidding, open the hood, and you cannot see daylight under the motor.

So, next day, I took it to Upland Ford, and showed them how I thought we could repair it by putting two new rivets next to the damaged area, and replacing the others. To my surprise, the service adviser agreed, and I asked how much it would cost. He said he would take it out back to the body shop and have them put it on a lift to find out.

I waited maybe 20 minutes for him to return with the estimate, then he brought the car back, told me it was done, and there was no charge. The body guys had the rivets in stock, and they saved the belly pan, rather than replacing it. WOW. If they had to replace parts, I figured the price would be about $4-500 total, and if they just did it my way at the dealer labor rate it would be a minimum of $100.

Sure was nice of them. Thanks, Ford of Upland.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Good for them and thanks for sharing. I had a similar experience earlier this week at my Nissan dealer. My Murano started running rough and losing power. It coincided with an almost empty gas tank so I thought maybe it was fuel related though it continued after I fueled up. Took it into my dealer. They checked and found my air intake had become dislodged, reinstalled it and like your Ford dealer, no charge. There is hope for humanity out there if you look for it.

It's the small things that will make the customers come back! It's good business practice.

Despite the preponderance of dealer service departments out there that "suck mightily" there are fortunately some that put the customer first. I'm glad to hear you have one of the good ones and I'm fortunate that my particular local Jeep and Subaru dealer is one, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

When you find a good dealer, stick with them and send referrals so they stay around. I found one too, in 2007, and it was also Ford. Bought another from them since and use them for all service on both.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I had a Ford dealer like that but when the owner died it was sold and the new owner ran it into the ground until it closed.

I actually had another really good thing happen with another Ford dealer in 2005. I bought a 2004 F250 diesel, and it spent more time in the shop than my driveway. I was in the process of sending them a letter about having a lemon, when Ford called me and offered me another truck. Turns out the dealers service manager had called Ford for me, and I never even had to argue with them. Ended up with a 2005, that I still have.

I must be a Ford man. I currently have a '22 Model T, a '56 hardtop, a '55 T-Bird, 2003 Mustang GT convertible, the '05 F250, plus '13 and '14 C-Max Energi plug in hybrids. Three other cars in the household too. Whew.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Always nice to hear when a business treats a customer well. But you do know what FORD stands for?

Ford

Owners

Recomend

Dodge

Since Ford dropped the 7.3 diesel, they have not really had a decent diesel engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollie Meyers View Post
    Always nice to hear when a business treats a customer well. But you do know what FORD stands for?

Ford

Owners

Recomend

Dodge

Since Ford dropped the 7.3 diesel, they have not really had a decent diesel engine.
    Love my cummins =)