Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roman Workbench?

Cool Roman Workbench?

Just got through watching St.Roy and Herr Schwarz showing how to use a Roman Era workbench. Then they also showed one that was from 1500s.....

IF you like sitting down on the job, the Roman version might be the ticket. I guess versions are still in use in Estonia?

At least it was worth watching......

I watched it twice....not something I'd normally do. It made me wonder whether something like this combined with some sort of tail vise could be useful....or maybe an English bench hybrid. Sitting doesn't sound all bad, but the workholding options seemed lacking. The engineer in me wants to find out.

If I had space in my shop I would try it out. Right now I have fallen off of the Neander bandwagon, need space for a few power tools.

However the Roman workbench does seem to offer some advantages.

I thought about adding a "link" to the show....all I did the other night was enter the pbs.org and a show's name. It came out before the two with Peter Ross doing hinges for a tool box.

Not sure IF I am allowed to put the link in here...... Season 36, episode 12. Aired back in December of 2016.....
    Last edited by steven c newman; 02-10-2017 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    I thought about adding a "link" to the show....all I did the other night was enter the pbs.org and a show's name. It came out before the two with Peter Ross doing hinges for a tool box.

Not sure IF I am allowed to put the link in here...... Season 36, episode 12. Aired back in December of 2016.....
    I have watched that particular show, was very educational. I am just out of Florium to add any more workbenches once I get past the build I am currently knee deep in.

I don't even have a proper workbench yet, but I honestly thought the smaller bench looked like a P.I.A literally.
    Was planing some 2x12s for my Bench tonight on saw horses, while sitting on the 2x12s and hated every minute, uncomfortable to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J Evans View Post
    I don't even have a proper workbench yet, but I honestly thought the smaller bench looked like a P.I.A literally.
    Was planing some 2x12s for my Bench tonight on saw horses, while sitting on the 2x12s and hated every minute, uncomfortable to say the least.
    A lot of it is the body posture one is comfortable with. I have been to Japan twice for an extended stay, sitting on the floor or low benches was very normal there. In a culture like that, your body would be very used to a low posture. Here in America we are more used to sitting up high.

Good luck on your bench, sounds like you are using Doug fir or SYP, both of which will work very well.

Doubt IF he noticed the second bench in the show....one that was made before Roubo. With a face vise. The end vise even looks very workable, even for being 600 year old design.

Use the Low Bench for a saw bench, and then have the Tall Bench for other work.

When I am doing dovetails, or box joints at my bench, I am usually sitting down on the Shop Stool. YMMV

I agree.
    Even though I still don't see why anyone would want the smaller bench unless they needed a dedicated saw bench and had plenty of space. But different strokes for different folks.
    I thought the both of the vices on the bigger bench were slick.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J Evans View Post
    I agree.
    Even though I still don't see why anyone would want the smaller bench unless they needed a dedicated saw bench and had plenty of space. But different strokes for different folks.
    I thought the both of the vices on the bigger bench were slick.
    Very slick indeed!

Wonder IF he ever got that Roman style holdfast to work? Shaped like a candy cane?

Wonder IF he ever got that Roman style holdfast to work? Shaped like a candy cane?
    Yep – but you have to hit it in just the right place. (The end vise on the "Holy Roman Bench" – the tall one – is awesome. You can traverse in it.)

I wonder where anyone got the idea that a Roman holdfast was shaped like a candy cane.

C. Schwarz even had an old Mosaic from the Pompeii area, showing the low bench, and the holdfast.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    If I had space in my shop I would try it out. Right now I have fallen off of the Neander bandwagon, need space for a few power tools.

However the Roman workbench does seem to offer some advantages.
    I wouldn't do it. It is well documented that one of the contributing factors to the decline and fall of the Roman Empire was the deficiencies in their workbenches.
    Kidding of course, but it was an interesting show. It's also interesting when vintage tools and furniture comes across Antiques Roadshow.

If you ever have the chance to visit Cremona, Italy (part way between Florence and Milan), I would recommend it. This is the town that was and continues to be the center of lutherie in Italy, most famous for Antonio Stradivari, maker of the legendary Stradivarius violins. There are artisan luthiers all over the place in that town, there might be a workshop in any particular nook or cranny, and most are like a step back in time. The majority of the work is with hand tools, I saw hand planes the size of a fingernail. See the attached photo. I told one maker I made furniture thinking he might see me as brethren, and he just smiled politely and said "molto semplice". The translator later told me he said making furniture, even fine furniture is the art equivalent of crayons compared to violin making to the Cremona standards of lutherie. It was really fascinating. Sorry if I'm taking the thread off topic.

4Y1A8569.jpg