Thread: looking for formaldehyde free Baltic Birch or comparable

looking for formaldehyde free Baltic Birch or comparable

I use a lot of baltic birch, 3/8" thick or 9mm. Over the years I've heard a rumor that there is formaldehyde free B Birch but it comes in 4x8 sheets rather than 5x5. I've talked to my suppliers but no one can verify.
    I've looked at various US made maple plys as well that are form. free but they generally don't make 3/8" thick ply. The Europly is a great product but it's quite a bit more than B Birch.

Looking for an alternative or solving the mystery or B Birch that is form. free.
    thanks

I would talk to Doug at L.L. Johnson Lumber in Charlotte, MI
    He's very knowledgeable, I've had conversations about ply and found him more than helpful.

Mac

thanks Mac!

I'm pretty sure Apply Ply is no-added-formaldehyde. If you don't know Appleply, it is made in North America. Like baltic birch, it is all-hardwood, with lots of plys. I believe it is alder core, and maple faces. Good stuff.
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 02-10-2017 at 1:00 AM.

Jamie,
    Apple Ply is great but about 2x as much.
    Plus, 3/8" is a special order which kills the deal.

I know the BB 5x5 sheets my local supplier sells are CARB compliant and Wolstenholme (one of the big BB importers) sells FSC and no added formaldehyde 4x8 sheets. Might be worth giving one of the big importers a call as they would know http://www.wolstenholme.com/plywood-.../baltic-birch/

So, I've investigated this issue about once every year. There is no Form. free Baltic Birch. There are formaldehyde free domestic option like apple ply and euro ply, there are both great products with a maple veneer. However they are a lot more expensive than BB, in addition the domestic options are not available in 3/8".

I did call Wolstenholme, thanks for the reference.