Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eliminating the rollers on a planer?

Eliminating the rollers on a planer?

I have a SCM 520S and would like to eliminate the rollers and have a smooth table. The planer was available in Europe without, and they are nothing but a source of aggravation to me.

I was wondering if anyone has ever filled them and if so how they went about it? I could probably order a smooth table but I am sure it would cost me more than I want to pay.

Why are they an issue? I have a couple s63 planers an other then they are not powered, they never have cause me any issues.

Hi Larry,
    I have an old Parks 12" Planer. Before I had a thickness sander I used it to surface thin wood for instruments. I cut a piece of plywood 12" wide a bit longer than the planer bed with a cleat to hit the front edge of the planer bed. I dropped the bed rollers below the table and inserted the ply rubbed with wax.

Just adjust them to be flush with the table. That's what I did and no more snipe...joe

I have a 15" Grizzly. I moved the table rollers below the table. I don't have any issues with the gaps where the rollers are.

Martin T45 planers come stock without bed rollers. They employ a wax/lubricant system.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    Hi Larry,
    I have an old Parks 12" Planer. Before I had a thickness sander I used it to surface thin wood for instruments. I cut a piece of plywood 12" wide a bit longer than the planer bed with a cleat to hit the front edge of the planer bed. I dropped the bed rollers below the table and inserted the ply rubbed with wax.
    Bradley, thin stock is one problem and that would address that, but I would lose my digital readout. Obviously I could compensate, but hate that kind of thing. The other is chips sticking to the rollers and leaving marks,, I'm just tired of cleaning the rollers, especially when they are not necessary.

And they are all the way down, but all that way down is flush with the table as they should be, but they still pick up chips and leave marks. My question was...........

I have to take the table off to change the billows, so if I can come up with a solution for the roller holes I could do it all at the same time.

I like the Martin idea, but not in the cards for me just now, or probably ever.
    Last edited by Larry Edgerton; 02-10-2017 at 11:49 AM.

Can you calibrate your DRO? You could also do as Bradley suggests with thin piece of stainless put on a brake, with a 90 at each end, to just slide over your table and secure it with screws at each end.

I'm sure with creativity you could remove the bed rollers and make some filler pieces to bridge the gap without removing the bed.

Fill with a wooden piece, leaving it about a 1/4 inch below surface then fill the rest of the way with bondo?
    Frankie

I have a great Border Collie, she just can't hold her licker!

How about a block of UHMW plastic the size of the opening mounted like the bed rollers so you could raise it a bit as it wears?

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    How about a block of UHMW plastic the size of the opening mounted like the bed rollers so you could raise it a bit as it wears?
    The openings are kind of crude for such an expensive piece so I am not sure that would work. Besides the rollers picking up an occasional chip the edge of that opening will get a chip stuck half way and make drag marks in the wood. I keep an airhose with a long nozzle handy to blow it out once in a while on that edge, but kind of a pain. The planer does such a nice job there is almost no sanding, except for the things the rollers and openings cause. So I figure I know why they don't have them across the pond.

I was more thinking of pulling it and machining the bed to recieve a filler or if it can be done without warpage welding it shut and having it remachined. Machining would be safer if it was close enough to not grab stuff on the way by. I thought about a thin stainless cover, but then I remembered how my portable planers would get stuff under the stainless bed cover and would throw them off. Besides, the bed is 3' long, long way between fasteners.

Anyway, the veneers catching is my biggest gripe, so I may try some variation of your sled. I miss my WB!

And how are things in Ohio? Well, let me change that question, because you know, Ohio. How are You doing.

The sled would be an easy thing to try. You could use something exactly 1" to keep the math simple. Welding/machining does sound like a surer thing. My main planer has powered bed rollers that pretty much clean themselves.

Things are remarkably warm for winter in Ohio. I am having a fine time making a bunch of music stands.

I simply made an auxiliary table out of melamine faced MDF and waxed that. Add a cleat and you have the table you want, don't forget to cut two reliefs on the bottom to clear the rollers. The only downside is that you lose 3/4" of capacity. I left this auxiliary table on my planer pretty much full time. Worked like a charm and cost but a few scraps.

I would try a piece of Formica or other plastic laminate. Use a light coat of spray contact cement to get an even thin coat and glue it down. No screws, supported entire length except over the rollers and glued down so nothing can get under it. It would be easily reversed with a little solvent if you change your mind. Guess you could contact cement a piece of stainless steel instead of plastic laminate also.