Thread: Restoring a 120 Year old Gouge

Restoring a 120 Year old Gouge

Have a very interesting tool that I came into possession of via the wonder that is fleabay for a few bucks. It arrived in pretty good shape, was about as sharp as a spoon. Part II is coming later this week as soon as I can get the finish for the handle procured. The company Underhill that made it went out of business in the 1880s so even if this was made in the very last year of the companys existence it is still over 120 years old at least. I'm inclined to think it was used in ship building.

It is built in the same fashion as a framing slick with the socket angled upward from the cutting edge, so the replacement handle will be very similar to a framing slick handle, I don't know if it's historically accurate but sometimes you just have to make it work. The overall length of this monster is 13 5/8 and the handle that is came with was just WAY too short and spindly for my hands.

Pretty interesting tool and I haven't seen many like it apart from a few here and there on the internet. The width of the cutting edge is 2" and the sweep is close to a Pfeil #6. Very cool indeed. Will put up part II as soon as it's completed.

Blog Entries
    That is an interesting gouge. I wonder if there is any relation to Roy Underhill.

The socket end looks like it may be hand forged.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Nice find. A lot of those have had the bevel side changed. Some show a big difference between the two sides in shape and surface finish and that helps determine original use.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    That is an interesting gouge. I wonder if there is any relation to Roy Underhill.

The socket end looks like it may be hand forged.

jtk
    Entirely possible that Roy Underhill is related.

From looking at it up close I really think the entire thing was hand forged, and it was kept in very good condition, no evidence of anyone having taken a grinding wheel to the edge or any such thing

Roy said he was related. He collects Underhill tools.

Lots of history here. There are at least 12 Underhills in MA and NH who made edge tools and they are all related to each other. The first forge was located on what is now NH Rte 121 near the border of Auburn NH before it burned to the ground. The foundation is still there in the woods. Auburn being for much of its history a part of Chester. They operated in various combinations of names from the late 1700s until they were absorbed by the Amoskeag Axe Company in 1879 and AAC was purchased by the American Axe and Tool Company of Nashua NH in 1890. The first of the clan was Josiah Underhill (1758-1822) of my town, Chester NH. The assorted names in no particular order are:

Underhill Edge Tool Co.
    Underhill, Brown, and Leighton
    Flagg Temple Underhill
    George Washington Underhill & Co.
    Hazen Underhill & Co.
    Jay Temple Underhill
    Jesse Johnson Underhill
    Josiah Underhill
    Rufus K. Underhill
    Samuel Graham Underhill

All worked in various combinations with each other at different times. For more detailed information consult: Instruments of Change- New Hampshire Hand Tools and their makers 1800-1900 published by the NH Historical Society 1985
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    Lots of history here. There are at least 12 Underhills in MA and NH who made edge tools and they are all related to each other. The first forge was located on what is now NH Rte 121 near the border of Auburn NH before it burned to the ground. The foundation is still there in the woods. Auburn being for much of its history a part of Chester. They operated in various combinations of names from the late 1700s until they were absorbed by the Amoskeag Axe Company in 1879 and AAC was purchased by the American Axe and Tool Company of Nashua NH in 1890. The first of the clan was Josiah Underhill (1758-1822) of my town, Chester NH. The assorted names in no particular order are:

Underhill Edge Tool Co.
    Underhill, Brown, and Leighton
    Flagg Temple Underhill
    George Washington Underhill & Co.
    Hazen Underhill & Co.
    Jay Temple Underhill
    Jesse Johnson Underhill
    Josiah Underhill
    Rufus K. Underhill
    Samuel Graham Underhill

All worked in various combinations with each other at different times. For more detailed information consult: Instruments of Change- New Hampshire Hand Tools and their makers 1800-1900 published by the NH Historical Society 1985
    That's alot of cool information, thanks Dave

Part II is up, not much to really say about it other than it took a while since I don't have a lathe so I just had to carve away. Fun project though and it'll be around for alot longer than I will for sure.

Blog Entries
    Pretty good handle for not having a lathe.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Pretty good handle for not having a lathe.

jtk
    Thanks Jim