Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starrett Square finish imperfections

Starrett Square finish imperfections

I just received a satin / steel Starrett square (C33H012-4R) from Amazon. There are some light scratches (from the sliding head) and 'surface sheen' imperfections on the blade. Everything is readable. I cleaned the blade and put some Rennaisance wax on it.

Is this normal?

It actually was sold by Amazon, not a third party, so I hope the chance of receiving a counterfeit is low. Considering the $136 cost (w/ tax), I want to make sure I received the real thing.

Cheers,
    Mark McFarlane

I actually just received one as well from Amazon. I did the satin chrome finish on the blade, mine showed up flawless. It'll get scratched up sooner or later though.

Tough to give an opinion ...and know that I would ...take my own advice. Think I'd look for a number for a Starrette rep.
    and ask what is "normal" standard.

You pay for "Starrett Perfection" so that's what you deserve.
    I'd return it.

Amazon will take care of you.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

There IS a blem and imperections market. Surely, you didn't want one of those unless you wanted to save money.

Starrett squares at usually perfect out of the box. I would return it, if it bothers you that much.
    I never buy satin chrome rules. The regular rules look better over time in my opinion.

Another option is to go directly to Starrett.

I have several Starrett rules. They have been perfect out of the box.
    Best option it to return it to Amazon for replacement. They are very easy to deal with.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I have several Starrett rules. They have been perfect out of the box.
    Best option it to return it to Amazon for replacement. They are very easy to deal with.
    Same here.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I have a satin chrome Starrett square and have been using it for many years, no scratches on blade at all...

By odd coincidence my brother got a Starrett square from Amazon recently and it had some scratches on it and being frustratingly picky as he's always been, he returned it for a perfect one. He sent me photos and my comments of "no big deal" and "dude your kids are going to scratch it worse than that in the first year" did not sway his decision. Here are the pictures he sent me - I'm just curious - could it be the same square? He seemed to think the packaging/shipping was at fault for the scratches.
    square2.jpg
    square1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Stuve View Post
    By odd coincidence my brother got a Starrett square from Amazon recently and it had some scratches on it and being frustratingly picky as he's always been, he returned it for a perfect one. He sent me photos and my comments of "no big deal" and "dude your kids are going to scratch it worse than that in the first year" did not sway his decision. Here are the pictures he sent me - I'm just curious - could it be the same square? He seemed to think the packaging/shipping was at fault for the scratches.
    square2.jpg
    square1.jpg
    That is similar to the imperfections on my finish, and I also have some scratches parallel to the long dimension of the rule. I'll try to call Starrett this week and see what they say. I could ship it back to Amazon, maybe the same way they shipped it to me: in the red display box with a UPS label on it, and one piece of cellophane tape on one of the 4 sides....
    Mark McFarlane

Must be a different square then if there were additional scratches - knowing my brother I'm sure he would have exhaustively identified all defects in it. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    That is similar to the imperfections on my finish, and I also have some scratches parallel to the long dimension of the rule. I'll try to call Starrett this week and see what they say. I could ship it back to Amazon, maybe the same way they shipped it to me: in the red display box with a UPS label on it, and one piece of cellophane tape on one of the 4 sides....
    That doesn't sound like Amazon shipping. They usually go the other way like adding bubble pack to a box full of socks. Are you sure it was sold & shipped directly from Amazon?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    That doesn't sound like Amazon shipping. They usually go the other way like adding bubble pack to a box full of socks. Are you sure it was sold & shipped directly from Amazon?
    The invoice said: Sold by: Amazon.com LLC.

This is the link to what I bought. Usually they say if it is being sold by a third party,
    Mark McFarlane