Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Ridgid R4513 or any other $500 table saws?

Thoughts on Ridgid R4513 or any other $500 table saws?

Hi guys, I'm kinda at a dilemma here. The price range for me is about $500 give or take a little, and none of the saws I'm seeing are really standing out to me. I won't buy used because the Craigslist market by me is terrible. The Ridgid model seems to have the best reviews out of the pack of $500 saws, and others within range. The Delta 36-725 seems like a great saw when I checked it out at Lowes, but lots of reviews state otherwise with multiple motors burning out etc... The Ridgid while having better reviews, is quite a bit smaller and not as sturdy. The table top itself doesn't feel very strong either. The kicker is I have a $300 Home Depot store credit, and the Ridgid was $299 on Black Friday. It's now $499 meaning another $200 plus tax vs the sale price. If I could get it at $299 I would jump on it, but at $542 it's pushing my budget. I also have to throw another blade on it from what I've gathered online.

I'm not in a terrible rush, I'm checking deal sites daily, but this is the biggest table saw Home Depot has in stock. There are a few others that can be shipped to store, but again none with overly positive reviews. The R4512 seems to be hit or miss depending on who you ask, but it's also a dated model now, and again sale prices have been low as $249 on that model...

I did construction for about 5 years, but I work at the post office now. This purchase for me is for hobbies, furniture crafting, and home repairs. I want to have it for many many years to come, so I want to make the right purchase the first time around. I bought a $130 Ryobi a few years back, and that was a mistake I don't want to repeat.

If anyone has any thoughts on this saw or any others I should check out within range I'd really appreciate hearing them. Even better if anyone knows how to get a better discount on one of these, Black Friday is a long wait.

I wouldn't buy a portable saw because it's in your price range. Buy a portable because you NEED the portability. A full size belt drive saw with an induction motor has nearly every other advantage. You give up a lot of operating space in front of the blade in exchange for a portable saw. You also give up cast iron, steel, and a quieter motor with more torque in exchange for plastic, aluminum, and a loud universal motor.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Charles, I agree with Scott...a "portable" isn't going to likely make you very happy and you'll end up spending more to replace it. The noise, lack of precision, lighter weight, etc., all make for a poor investment.

Try for a "contractors' style saw or a hybrid saw. With patience (I know you said local market isn't great) you may still be able to find a good used as folks will sell to move up to a cabinet saw from time to time or for other reasons. You want an induction motor (not a "universal" motor) with a belt drive and a cast iron top. The home centers used to sell some of these things, but they've not been so keen on that lately which doesn't bode well for you to use your gift card unfortunately.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Understood, thanks for the quick replies. I've been eyeing Grizzly's G0715P, but it's out of my range and very heavy as well. I'm not living in a permanent situation right now, and moving that in the future from where I am would be a big ordeal. I'm not sure what models to look for on Craigslist, most are Craftsmans that look like they've been through the ringer, a few old Deltas which I looked up and had bad reviews.

The biggest downfall of these saws are power, the fence system and overall durability. You really want a true induction motor, with (cast iron) pulleys and belts. The 4513 model you indicated I wouldn't consider a portable saw per se (if by portable you all mean jobsite) but rather a contractor saw advertised with a cast iron top. Actually I prefer to call them 'homeowners saws', because even though they look like a contractors saw, there are actual contractors saws out there of much better quality.

That being said, I still won't disagree with the posters in that you're going to get what you pay for. Bear in mind I'm coming from at this as one who uses a full on 3HP major brand cabinet saw. But as a previous owner of one of these, I can assure you these type saws are only going to take you so far. They may be be quite adequate for you for light work, until that day comes when you try to rip some 8/4 hard maple and find out what you really have.

Definitely stay away from all those old Craftsman saws you see with the screw handle type fence. They are absolutely horrendous and dangerous. Some of the new C'man saws have a better fence system.

I've had my Delta 36-725 for a month shy of three years. I know it's outside of your budget zone but for what it's worth, my experience with it has been generally good. I've replaced one part on it: the fence lock handle. I was a bit heavy-handed with it and over time, it gave up the ghost. One annoyance is that it's not the easiest saw to make zero clearance inserts for. The stock insert is stamped steel so a thicker ply/MDF/whatever insert needs a routed lip. Warts and limitations aside, I've accomplished some satisfying woodworking with it.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Five hundred dollars might be better spent in the used market.

Charles, like you, I'm a hobbyist. 7 years ago I bought a Dewalt 745 for under $400 from HD. I don't have space for a full size saw in my basement shop and I wanted one I could take outside. I used it primarily to rough dimension and square up rough sawn lumber. I have also used it to resaw. It has been completely adequate for what I need. I took the time to align it and it cuts 4/4 hardwood stock (which is 99% of what I use) without any issue. Anything thicker, I just make a few passes.
    I have since moved to more hand tool use, but it does come out on occasion for resawing and other rough cut use or repetitive width rip needs. I have had no service issues...but, it does only get occasional use.

It has the limitations mentioned above. I built an infeed and outfeed table to assist with longer stock. The miter slot is a bit off size for some jigs. It's also narrow, so wide stock can be an issue, but I can use either the outfeed or infeed table if needed. Dust collection isn't great. And it's noisy.

The point is, it is what it is. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another if this one quit working.

Thanks Phil, I understand completely. I've been doing research all night, and looked at quite a few youtube reviews. The Ridgid R4512 might be right for me, and there is a Home Depot that actually has them in stock. So I'm hoping there's a floor model I can get a feel for tomorrow after work. There are some bad reviews online, but there are a lot of good ones too. If I get the extended warranty I can always return it. I'm also curious if there's been any revisions because I read a thread where Ridgid acknowledged the trunnion issue, and actually sent a customer a new one which fixed the major issue the saw had. So I may gamble on it. Still I have to see it in person.

Quite a few years ago, I got the Ridgid 3650 (3560?) and for my hobby type work is very good. Cast iron top and had the Hercules mover under it. Far as I'm concerned, it's solid, and seems to make good cuts. It's a bit under powered for 2'hardwoods, but I don't use much of that, and if needed, make a coupe of passes.

Mos of the time I run a thin kerf 7 1/4 inch blade and it works well.

I paid $499 ($100 off the reg price) back then. Don't regret it.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Oops, got my planer mixed up with my saw...I have the Dewalt 7480. The Rigid you are looking at has much better features...the cast iron top for one. I don't think you'd have the miter slot issues I have, and it looks to extend much wider. It looks like a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Westfall View Post
    Quite a few years ago, I got the Ridgid 3650 (3560?) and for my hobby type work is very good. Cast iron top and had the Hercules mover under it. Far as I'm concerned, it's solid, and seems to make good cuts. It's a bit under powered for 2'hardwoods, but I don't use much of that, and if needed, make a coupe of passes.

Mos of the time I run a thin kerf 7 1/4 inch blade and it works well.

I paid $499 ($100 off the reg price) back then. Don't regret it.
    Again, thin Kerf blades make a nice difference in a smaller lower powered saw.

Are you guys saying the R4513 has a cast iron top? Mine does not. The R4512 has a cast iron top.

Man, I can't get any #s right on this thread. You're right, I was looking at the 4512, not the 4513. In that case, it will be more similar to my Dewalt. Thanks for the correction, Kevin.

No worries Phil! OP...I have the R4513 because I have limitations on space and can't have a saw that's stationary. That' said, I like my 4513 ok. The big drawback for me though is space in front of the blade. I wish I had more space in front of the blade.