Thread: Need Help Identifying Lever Caps?

Need Help Identifying Lever Caps?

Hoping for a little help identifying these lever caps. I am used to seeing lever caps from the typical Stanley bench planes from late 1800 to late 30s. These caps I have attached have me baffled. The one on the left looks pretty good until you turn it over. It is missing the typical flat metal shield which allows the lever to just flop around loosely. The second from the right looks pretty normal but it has a rough surface like it was cast in a rougher state. It may have been painted black like the one to its right. It also has the same rough surface and some black paint present. The one on the far right looks like a cap iron from a Stanley #9… the so called long neck lever cap, but is has a hollow back not solid which I have seen. Is this a long neck lever cap for a #9 but a different “Type”. It is 2” wide and 4.5 long less the lever, 2 -1/8” from the top of the keyhole to the top of the body. Any help identifying the planes these were made for would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Mark

IMG_1604 (1).jpgIMG_1605.jpgIMG_1607.jpg

Far left one is more for the Handyman type of planes, like the ones made for Sears.
    Third from left is more for a Mohawk-Shelburne plane. The lever was painted red, the rest was black.

The #9 is unknown to me.

Stanley had a bad habit of not spending any more than the minimum for planes not sold as a Stanley. Things like frog adjust bolts, metal spring plate on the back of a lever cap.....fancy Rosewood handles....

Millers Falls made the M-S line as a budget line. So, they never put the fancier two-piece lever cap on them. usually a black paint job, with just the lever in red. Later, when it became the value line,..they were painted a gray colour.

Thanks Steven, Here is a link for you to see the #9. http://www.hansbrunnertools.com/Stan...tanley%209.htm

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark R Webster View Post
    Thanks Steven, Here is a link for you to see the #9. http://www.hansbrunnertools.com/Stan...tanley%209.htm
    Here is a site with a #9 lever cap next to a #4 lever cap:

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan2.htm#num9

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hi Jim, it sure looks right. The only thing that is throwing me is that it has a hollow back and not solid.