Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kreg Foreman?

Kreg Foreman?

Was thinking about getting one and saw that they used to make a pneumatic version. Anyone know why they discontinued? Was it any better than the electric?
    Sincerely, Dave.

Probably because not everyone has air in their shop or at a job site to dedicate to a pneumatic hold down and the new toggle clamps out there work very well.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Use a Kreg jig and make your own pneumatic clamp for about $75 in parts. It's easy and a fun project. I have a small cabinet shop and wouldn't waste my money on a pocket machine unless I get so busy I need more employees. Even then, my systems drills 75% as fast a Castle single spindle.
    -Lud

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Ludwig View Post
    Use a Kreg jig and make your own pneumatic clamp for about $75 in parts. It's easy and a fun project. I have a small cabinet shop and wouldn't waste my money on a pocket machine unless I get so busy I need more employees. Even then, my systems drills 75% as fast a Castle single spindle.
    Know any good links or videos on how to make one?
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Just enter a search in You-tube. Also, Izzy Swan made a drill operated one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_j_e_apxZc Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Know any good links or videos on how to make one?
    It's about as simple as can be. The hardest part for me was figuring out was what to search.

My Kreg model is a discontinued but looks like this. I haven't modified one with a front lever, so keep that in mind when I give a list of parts. I'll have to post pics Monday.

4 way foot pedal
    1/4 NPT muffler
    1.5"-2" stroke, 1.5"-2" bore non-rotating air cylinder and the mounts.
    Mettle air hose and fittings My air cylinder is 1/8" NPT and the pedal is 1/4" npt. The hose was the same size and pushes into either fitting. I bought an assortment of straight and elbow because they're cheap and I wasn't sure how I'd run my lines. If you get confused, just call them - they're great.
    Last thing you'll need is a foot to mount on the arm of the cylinder.

Most everything you need can be found at frightprops .com (no affiliation). I shopped around and saved maybe $10. Convenience would have be worth the $10 had I gone there first.

All you need after that is a little ingenuity to mount it and pipe it into your air system.
    -Lud

Just watched Izzy's video. His machine is WAY past anything I've done. I make ugly Betty tools and jigs. I have pride in the finished product, not so much the intermediate processes.

Mine looks like it fell off the back of a jingle truck in a 3rd world country. Pics on Monday.
    -Lud

Blog Entries
    A Castle pocket hole machine is a dedicated machine not to be confused with a DIY version.

If you want a quick DIY version pocket holer just make one...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jack duren; 02-11-2017 at 8:31 AM.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I mis-stated my question. I think everyone assumed I wanted a pneumatic one because I've gotten a bunch of replies on how to make one. I was really just asking if the discontinued pneumatic was that much better than the $400 electric one you can get now.

I have a Kreg K4 system right now and it works great. I have it set up on a board (like most). It just seems that the foreman would be so much more efficient.
    Right now its:

• position the workpiece
    • clamp
    • pick up drill
    • drill
    • put down drill
    • unclamp
    • move workpiece
    • clamp
    • pick up drill........

I can understand why everyone was making their own version with a $850 price tag on the pneumatic.

For those that have the new version of the electric version: Are you happy with it? Any pros/cons? Things you would change?

Sincerely, Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Ludwig View Post
    It's about as simple as can be.
    You need to get a castle machine. I'm looking for a second one.

David, I have the K4 and the new electric foreman, and the Forman is well worth the money in my opinion. It's probably twice as fast as the K4, your work piece is horizontal instead of vertical which is really nice on long pieces, and it has semi decent dust collection. Only con is it's a little on the light side of construction, but it's made to be portable so.... If you use pocket holes very much at all I'd highly recommend it.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

i have one of the newer ones i like it so much more then the k5 its gotta be 2-10x as fast depending on the size of work piece

I wasn't aware it was discontinued. We have one in our shop and I really like it. If you can find a used one I would recommend it.

I assume you are talking about the older version of the Foreman with the steel case? I have one, as well as a Castle, and like the Foreman better for my hobby needs. The Castle is great, but I need to roll it out and fire up the compressor to use it, while I have the Foreman sitting next to the RAS, in line with the height and fence of the RAS. When I need a couple pocket holes, it is ready to go. If I need a lot, it is not as fast as the Castle, but that is not much of a factor with me.

I think you will like it. I have no experience with the newer Kreg machine.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    You need to get a castle machine. I'm looking for a second one.
    Bah. I have a lot of stuff on my list that will make my shop more efficient than a pocket machine. As I grow, I'll eventually get one - but it's way low on my list right now. I'm currently forming the pad and getting ready for concrete pour of my new shop - that is precedent over all ATM.
    -Lud