Thread: I need a jointer- Advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Smallwood View Post
    This thread is a little stale, but I thought I'd add my .02

For me, making furniture, here are my requirements in order of importance:

1.)Flat/straight beds
    2.)Table LENGTH
    3.)Helical cutter
    4.)Width

I recently needed a new jointer when the 37-190 of 15 years died. I called around and found a PM 60 used for really cheap. I had decided that I needed an 8" jointer in the worst way since thats what everyone said. I went to the store, cash and straight edge in hand and was very disapointed when I found the beds to be warped. This place had several 8" jointers, new and used in stock so I decided to look around.

I sampled at least 5 jointers, and found EVERY SINGLE bed to need work. Very discouraged to say the least. So I opened up my requirements and finally found a PM54HH (6" powermatic with helical head) that was dead flat. Bought it on the spot. I told the saleman that I wanted this jointer, his reply was, "OK, let me see if I have any in stock", to which I replied, no, I want THIS jointer.

So, yes, I settled for 6" jointer with a helical head, but I knew it was dead flat.

Best decision I've made in a while. It's probably the best tool in my workshop that doesn't say Clifton or Lie Neilson and I've never regretted not having the extra 2 inches.

I guess the bottom line is, make sure you understand what the tool is supposed to do and make your decision based on how well it will perform that particular function. There are a LOT of jointers out there that don't actually do what they are supposed to do, despite the technical specs.

Just my opinion.

Alot of us suffer from "Bigger is Better" Syndrome.

Maybe take a look at this Powermatic 6":
    https://monterey.craigslist.org/tls/6006407192.html

Although, I could've sworn you had a couple of jointer (hand) planes from the estate sale...

I did get a 1930's-era 6" Delta (model 37-220) about 10 years ago.
    It's worked well for milling within its capacity.
    For wider boards, I use a hand plane to remove twist and bow so that I can send them through planer.
    I use hand plane for finished surfaces.

Matt

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Green View Post
    I'm looking for that unicorn deal where I find a $1000 dollar jointer for 200 bucks!
    A worthy endevour. I will just re-emphasize that patience is the key. A jointer that doesn't joint well is a boat anchor; close enough is a waste of time.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    Quoted for Truth!

https://goldcountry.craigslist.org/tls/6005509283.html

Thoughts on this one? I offered $150.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Green View Post
    https://goldcountry.craigslist.org/tls/6005509283.html

Thoughts on this one? I offered $150.
    I have that exact jointer and its a good one . Updated it to a Byrd head and when its running its super smooth hardly know its running. Think $150 is a steal on it .
    One other good thing is you can almost put it right up to a wall on the back cause there is not much sticking out back there.

OK, I think I found the one I am going to buy assuming you guys don't tell me its a horrible deal. Its a barely used Delta DJ-15 for $350. I am supposed to pick it up on Saturday so if you are able to let me know your thoughts this week that would be very helpful!

Thanks!

Sam

That Rockwell delta jointer is a heck of a deal at 175.00. I wish it was near me!

i would have bought the other one for 175 if it ran!

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Look for one of these Rockwell/Delta machines.
    It's a 37-315 8"
    You'll thank me.

Attachment 353776
    I just picked one up this weekend (same model). I am already thanking me. Great machine.

How much should one of these guys go for? There's one near me but he wants $850 for it. That seems high to me considering the price of a new Grizzly.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Look for one of these Rockwell/Delta machines.
    It's a 37-315 8"
    You'll thank me.

Attachment 353776

Quote Originally Posted by Larry W Owens View Post
    How much should one of these guys go for? There's one near me but he wants $850 for it. That seems high to me considering the price of a new Grizzly.
    Here in the mid west any 8 inch jointer in decent shape seems to be selling quickly regardless of price. One would think that jointers would be common on craigslit and used, but that does not seem to be the case.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    Here in the mid west any 8 inch jointer in decent shape seems to be selling quickly regardless of price. One would think that jointers would be common on craigslit and used, but that does not seem to be the case.
    I'm in the midwest as well and I agree with that statement. The last few 8" have vanished quick. One that was a bargain was gone in hours here. There was also an antique unit that was a fair bit aways and not that cheap that vanished before I could see it. I was hoping it'd have lingered so I could make an offer but no luck.

Still, $850 seems high to me on the Rockwell.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry W Owens View Post
    I'm in the midwest as well and I agree with that statement. The last few 8" have vanished quick. One that was a bargain was gone in hours here. There was also an antique unit that was a fair bit aways and not that cheap that vanished before I could see it. I was hoping it'd have lingered so I could make an offer but no luck.

Still, $850 seems high to me on the Rockwell.
    IMHO either network with other woodworkers, get ready to rebuild an older unit old Arn style, or buy from Grizzly. I have a tentative deal with another member here that should work out quite well. If that falls through, I have located a couple of older Powermatics in need of love. If that all falls through I will be calling Grizzly with my credit card #.

I am wanting to do the Planer/jointer/Bandsaw thing and get back to buying hand tools. That being said, I have had a blast looking at old iron.

Regards,

Chris