Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning the shop is killin me

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    I'd look for a big storage container. Just got a military surplus truck bed with slideouts. Makes an open room about 16 x 18. A neighbor bought several of the trucks, used most of the truck beds for his own storage, had one left over. Looks like it was some sort of portable field office.
    I use to rent storage when I built cabinets for a living out of there. Build a few and at the end of the day move to storage a couple miles away.

The shop actually looking better today....

Blog Entries
    You can also take two storage containers and build a roof between them and have an open storage or parking area... assuming you are either single or married to a very understanding woman.

Yea, cleaning the shop is "a task". And it's not just dealing with dust. Rather, it's all the other gradual, um...changes...to "organization" that has to be dealt with in the process. As a hobbyist, I'm able to do that a little more frequently, but I don't envy you pros relative to this issue because cleaning time unfortunately is production down-time, particularly if you work alone or with just a helper or two. Everybody needs to be busy working on revenue generation most of the time...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    A lot of my problem is the lumber. Building furniture doesn't use a lot and can be around forever. I've got 3pc of 8/4x12"x8' walnut blanks I glued up along with Sapele several months ago for a Snap Back shuffleboard I hope to use up this next winter. But gotta wait. Takes room.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I got a couple of walnut piles I'm seriously considering making a walnut table and chairs from. I've got enough but it's gotta wait.

What always gets me after I do a major clean up/organization is that I can't find anything for the first couple of weeks! I feel for you....each area is it's own battle!

Jim

A bumper fascia in a wood shop????

I read this thread while taking a break from cleaning my shop room. I don't feel so bad now...
    "Don't worry. They couldn't possibly hit us from that dist...."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Tobias View Post
    I can't find anything for the first couple of weeks!
    Jim
    A couple weeks ??? Two years ago, after twenty years of the same shop, I built a small barn / big shed to move all the non shop stuff out of my small shop. The shed is 12 X 16 and the shed attic is completely floored with a set of pull down stairs. So the shed is more or less two 12 X 16 sheds. With all the space at my disposal I moved some of the seldom used shop stuff out there also. I still cannot find some of the smaller items I know are out there somewhere. I never did find my back up 6" dado stack after I "cleaned up". I spent a good 1/2 hour this afternoon looking for the bag of wooden toy car wheels to finish several wood cars I had made yesterday. Before the move I could have just reached out and put my hand on those wheels.

To make matters worse about the same time the shed was built I bought two of those big multi drawer mechanics tool chests and put a ton of stuff in all those drawers.

I hope I never again decide to straighten up my mess of a shop.

Please, please be sure to use a respirator. You are dealing with mold spores as well as wood dust.

An exhaust fan(s) is a good idea too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    As a hobbyist, I'm able to do that a little more frequently, but I don't envy you pros relative to this issue because cleaning time unfortunately is production down-time, particularly if you work alone or with just a helper or two. Everybody needs to be busy working on revenue generation most of the time...
    I like a clean shop. I've worked in sorry filth holes where we weren't allowed to touch a broom, and I've worked in places that were spotless. Spotless is more productive and worth the time spent keeping things clean and organized. I think it gives a boost in moral and pride you're not stuffed into a dusty dungeon. It also portrays your business better keeping things tidy. Not to mention it's safer for your health and I think it lowers chances for injury from stupid things like tripping.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    I like a clean shop. I've worked in sorry filth holes where we weren't allowed to touch a broom, and I've worked in places that were spotless. Spotless is more productive and worth the time spent keeping things clean and organized. I think it gives a boost in moral and pride if you're not stuffed into a dusty dungeon. It also portrays your business better keeping things tidy. Not to mention it's safer for your health and I think it lowers chances for injury from stupid things like tripping.
    The part of your post that I highlighted is only true for some people. You like a clean shop so you notice dirt and dust. There are some people, like me, that don't even notice dust and dirt unless I stop and look for it

If you sneaked into my shop at night and gave it a thorough cleaning, but didn't move anything, the next morning when I came in, I would probably have to stand there for a little bit to figure out what looks different.

The rest of your post I completely agree with and is the only reason I even think about trying to keep things fairly clean.

Blog Entries
    I pulled a lot of routers out and they had caked dust on them that you couldn't completely blow off due to the garage door being opened on humid days. Last year I thought about getting rid of a few to move up to current models but was convinced not to. After cleaning with George and Mothers protectant they look like new. Even if their 15 years old
    05324.jpg

Martin, I agree with your philosophy. Keeping things relatively clean and tidy is good in many ways. I suspect that for a commercial shop, you have to make it part of the culture so that cleanup is part of the normal day, every day. The same goes for us hobbyists, of course...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm with Martin. When I'm doing a project, I can make quite a mess. Very quickly it bothers me and hurts productivity/quality. So, I stop and clean up before moving on. A clean shop is so much more enjoyable to work in. It doesn't have to be totally spotless, but clutter on work surfaces and tool stations has to be kept cleaned up.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    I like a clean shop. I've worked in sorry filth holes where we weren't allowed to touch a broom, and I've worked in places that were spotless. Spotless is more productive and worth the time spent keeping things clean and organized. I think it gives a boost in moral and pride you're not stuffed into a dusty dungeon. It also portrays your business better keeping things tidy. Not to mention it's safer for your health and I think it lowers chances for injury from stupid things like tripping.
    Last edited by tom lucas; 02-27-2017 at 6:55 PM.

One of the things i get the most satisfaction from is throwing stuff away.

I must go through my whole house 3-4 times a year and get rid of anything that has not been used in the past six months.

I'm the other type, i cant think straight unless everything has a place and is in it. I notice everything, like everything almost in a instant. I walk into a new space and i have sized it up in like 2-3 minutes tops. I'm the guy that always finds the one screw up in a otherwise perfect project or job. I'm also the guy that always notices all the screw ups in mediocre or shoty work and saiz it.

I think its true many people just dont notice this stuff. And if they do they just are not bothered by it. Im a carpenter by trade and i work with a number of guys that are this way. At first i thought they were just lazy, it took me time to understand that small details and or perfection just is not that important to them. They are also very very messy. They seem to work fine in a mess but if you ask me their work represents there work habbits. They are probably also a bit lazy.

Each to his own but id kill myself if my shop looked like that. I spend a solid hour everyday atbthe end of my work day cleaning. Everything gets put away in its place all the way to the tools in my belt or vest. Everything gets vacumed and mean everything. Throughout the day i actually will vacume as i make a mess. I keep a vacume plugged in in all four corners of my shop. Yup im anal retentive type A...