Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Home made jointer guard

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    My favorite guard was on a 25" German jointer. It was yellow and you just folded enough of the sections back to expose how much you needed.
    Darcy,

You wouldn't happen to have a pic or a link to that type of guard, would you? It sounds interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Weber View Post
    Darcy,

You wouldn't happen to have a pic or a link to that type of guard, would you? It sounds interesting.
    I should have a picture somewhere, if not I have some extra sections laying in a bucket someplace

Aj, I've always been in awe of those living ON THE EDGE. I guess it could be called Extreme Woodworking. May I ask, why no guard?

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Shriver View Post
    Aj, I've always been in awe of those living ON THE EDGE. I guess it could be called Extreme Woodworking. May I ask, why no guard?
    Imagine a guard that covers a 30" head and also swings out right in your way.
    It would be half in my way most of the time.

Only guard that I may consider is a surety gaurd. Moves away to edge and over for facing, still going to hang way off the front of the machine.

I liked the fold down guard on the porters.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Schlosser View Post
    I'd be scared to death to run any jointer without a guard, and am happy to hear that you're considering to at least make a back guard for it.
    Even with a guard, typical pork chop style, you still expose the cutter when you start facing a board.

Yeah, some head is exposed when edging (don't do it often SLR takes care of most of that).

I always use my gripper push pads, need the grip when pushing large lumber over it.

Martin,

Nice job. OK for edge jointing, but you will need height adjustment in order to face joint different thicknesses of wood.

To the others who do not use a guard on their jointer -- all I can say is bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    Martin,

Nice job. OK for edge jointing, but you will need height adjustment in order to face joint different thicknesses of wood.

To the others who do not use a guard on their jointer -- all I can say is bad idea.
    All I can say is, I don't care what you think.

Be nice, folks...

Jim
    Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    Martin,

No, you just open it to the width of the material. It's no different than a pork chop guard in that respect, the cutter is exposed until the material is covering it.
    Everyone has different level of comfort for perceived danger, it's the same basic principle every time. Don't stick meat in the sharp spinny thing.

Nice job on the bridge guard Martin . I made a one for little pattern maker that was fitted with a pork chop. It did work but i did not like it .

it did have the stop fro one but i had nothing to go by as the Manufacturer was finished in 1950. I went with brass.

you may notice i made a back guard too. The back guards are just as importance as bridge for the main . Regs in the EU are clear on the materials that are aloud and they can not damage the cutter block or shatter. so no steel or cast iron. the metal one can be heavy but this is good to help these thing hold up to the hits they get . On my Over under its counter balanced and floats. i did add a spring loaded tip and handle to ajust

the machine was lacking a back guard and never had one so i made that of my own design,

as to the guard being in the way it take all of 5 min to get used too and give access to the entire block. I don't find it all in the way. picking up push stick for each cut is a real PITA and not needed with a properly adjusted bridge . here i am skewing the wood for a better cut fully guarded.

Last edited by jack forsberg; 02-13-2017 at 8:05 PM.
    jack
    English machines

That's fricking sweet Jack. You win lol

[QUOTE=Keith Weber;2658640

You wouldn't happen to have a pic or a link to that type of guard, would you? It sounds interesting.[/QUOTE]
    great blog on how to make them here
    http://sawdust.online.fr/Project/Gua.../en_Swing7.php

jack
    English machines

so just seeing how much you can post., if this loads will do a few more

Martin there is yours the second one looking now see lots that mount from the end of the outfeed table never seen that before.

7500_img4f1_d9b708a93e896a0a972c50f17d5db513A.jpg16675_1_2493804A.jpg16797_1_2605543A.jpg16828_1_2997899A.jpg1875632A.jpg1912240A.jpg2107295A.jpg2319335A.jpg
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 02-13-2017 at 11:49 PM.

2463414A.jpg2500119A.jpg2556627A.jpg2570010A.jpg2704408A.jpg3093696A.jpg3111308A.jpg

want to delete the one below cant see how to do that
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 02-13-2017 at 11:48 PM.

Last edited by Warren Lake; 02-13-2017 at 11:47 PM.