Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Woodshop Build

Quote Originally Posted by David Helm View Post
    You talked about wood storage up high since you have a 14 foot ceiling. My only suggestion is that you will not always be young. Getting heavy wood down from above gets harder and harder as you age.
    That is a concern I have too... I guess my other option would be to turn a small shed that I'm not really using for anything into a wood storage shed... It's roughly a 20'x20' shed that I build for my tractor before I had the new building.

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    I think a 7'-6" ceiling would be a severe handicap for a woodshop.
    Totally agree. 8' minimum; 9-10' better.

------

On the subject of wood storage, if I had a 14" ceiling...or even a 10-12' ceiling...I'd do vertical storage for solid stock rather than racks up high for sure. My lumber storage is now on the second floor of my shop building. It works, but it requires bring the stuff down a stairway that changes direction at the bottom. Fortunately, the headroom is there to ease that navigation. I'm considering a hatch in the floor to alleviate even that, but haven't decided to do it or not yet.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-15-2017 at 11:12 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My lumber storage is vertical, between the open ceiling joists where the roof peaks. Sheet goods are stored standing on their long edges, in a rack against a wall, with narrow offcuts stored, also on their long edges in another rack above that.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Totally agree. 8' minimum; 9-10' better.

------

On the subject of wood storage, if I had a 14" ceiling...or even a 10-12' ceiling...I'd do vertical storage for solid stock rather than racks up high for sure. My lumber storage is now on the second floor of my shop building. It works, but it requires bring the stuff down a stairway that changes direction at the bottom. Fortunately, the headroom is there to ease that navigation. I'm considering a hatch in the floor to alleviate even that, but haven't decided to do it or not yet.
    My shop ceiling is 9'. I wish I had made it 10'.

A lowered ceiling would in fact make the space easier to insulate and condition. If there was enough space I would probably consider storing wood above as well. Jim, a clever guy like you should be able to come up with an excellent solution! I have a book on shops where a guy used two stories - he had a big hatch in the ceiling/floor and used that to move lumber and sheet goods. If you want me to look, I can try to find the book and mail it to you.

JKJ

John, I actually have a spot for the hatch. The stairway design made for a wide bay which is the target for such an accommodation...I just need to get motivated to do it. (And move some electrical wiring...)
    --

So am I totally crazy for thinking about using the space above the shop for wood storage? In my original plans, I was going to put in a stair case but I'm not sure I want to eat up shop space for stairs.

I'd make a space for it in the shop.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Zondor View Post
    So am I totally crazy for thinking about using the space above the shop for wood storage? In my original plans, I was going to put in a stair case but I'm not sure I want to eat up shop space for stairs.
    No, not crazy, but you do have to consider "wood movement" in a different way if you choose to move it "upstairs" like I did. For me, it's an occasional task to bring things down (or up), but if I were a more prolific builder it might be more of a factor. That said, my using the upstairs means I have a LOT more room for material storage than if it were "in" the shop footprint...which was the whole reason I moved it there in the first place. (To gain space in the shop) If you invest in material when you can get good buys like I historically have done, that makes even more sense. B

But yea...that stairway also takes up space. In my case, it was existing and couldn't be easily or economically moved. It also figures into shop layout challenges being smack in the middle of things! Sorry, these are panoramic photos and not the easiest to interpret, but you can see that stairway does affect things where it is. If you decide to do stairs, make them in the spot that's least intrusive to your workflow intentions.

Upstairs, this one rack has twice as much capacity as what I had in the shop and room for a lot more
    --

Thanks for the pictures and explanation, Jim. I'm going to sit down and draw up some ideas tonight. I think I'll also post the building being built to this thread. Just to share.

Jason,

Not sure what your dad went through with dust collection (if it was a bag system - I understand), but you definitely need to plan for it! First determine its location then your ducting (6" minimum, 7" would be better). Then place your high needs tools near the collector (Cyclone). Things like sanders, planers, etc. Many people put in dust collection where they can fit it after the shop is built. Then the high needs tools are too far away and the collector is not useful. Even if you are not sold on the need yet, plan a spot for it now so it will be effective when you do need it.

Hope this helps with an important part of your design.

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Kona View Post
    Jason,

Not sure what your dad went through with dust collection (if it was a bag system - I understand), but you definitely need to plan for it! First determine its location then your ducting (6" minimum, 7" would be better). Then place your high needs tools near the collector (Cyclone). Things like sanders, planers, etc. Many people put in dust collection where they can fit it after the shop is built. Then the high needs tools are too far away and the collector is not useful. Even if you are not sold on the need yet, plan a spot for it now so it will be effective when you do need it.

Hope this helps with an important part of your design.

Carl
    Thanks Carl! All good points.

Started work on the RAS cabinet build. 20 sheets of 3/4 A-C plywood. This is for the cabinets and the drawers. When I went to go buy the wood, the lumber yard had all of their 3/4 the same price as their 1/2. I guess the 3/4 was older stock... so I decided to use 3/4 for the drawer sides. I'll get some 1/2 or 1/4 for the bottoms when the time comes. Got the Forrest Woodworker II blade sharpened up.

IMG_0947.jpg

Now armed with a sharpened blade, I waxed down the table saw with some SC Johnson Paste Wax. It's pretty amazing how well a table saw works when the table and fence are running smooth.

IMG_0962.jpg

First set of sheets cut down...

IMG_0951.jpg

Next came the cross cuts for the frame...

IMG_0953.jpg

I got a new Kreg Jig for Christmas and this is the first big project I've gotten to use it on. Makes pretty quick work of it; 24 boards, 96 holes in less than 20 minutes.

IMG_0955 (1).jpgIMG_0959 (1).jpg

I think I have it figured out... What if I keep smaller or more likely used material in the shop and the bigger less used material upstairs. I have a spot in the corner where I was thinking about putting scraps and material. Originally I was thinking maybe building in storage cubbies but after taking a look at other folks shops, I think I'm leaning towards a mobile storage solution that can move out if need be.

That's exactly what I do, Jason...aside from sheet goods, anything "in" the shop are off-cuts and smaller pieces because it's more convenient that way. Bulk lumber is upstairs.
    --