Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Woodshop Build

Woodshop Build

Hello,
    Finally to the point where I can start working on my wood shop. Feel free to offer up comments and ideas... This is a hobby is therapeutic for me and I don't mind criticism. Plus, I know that there are a lot more talented people that I can learn from.

The goal for the wood shop is a place for me to teach and hang out with my children. And eventually I plan on spending a lot of time in the shop when I retire (still a long way out) but I want it to be a place that's comfortable and allow me to relax. I see it as an evolution as time goes by, especially since I don't have the capital to get it there immediately.

So the first project I'm going to do is build the RAS table and cabinets around it. The idea here is to start with some storage while I figure out the rest of the shop.

Here's the overall shop layout, this was an early drawing and there are somethings that I've decided to eliminate for now are the walls around the wood shop and the garage area. I'm thinking now that I'll will eventually close in the wood shop. This will make it easier for climate control and keep the saw dust out of everything else. Also, the cabinet layout is changing. It's a metal building and the sidewalls are 14' tall. We did this to accommodate the trailer.

Shop_2 copy.jpg

For now I’m focusing on the left side of the wood shop.

I’m going to frame-in an outside walls and for now, I’ll do plywood sheathing on the walls. I plan on painting the walls a nice light color.

Stud layout:
    Wood Shop SouthEast Wall Studs.jpg

Sheathing:
    Wood Shop SouthEast Wall Sheathing.jpg

And finally the cabinets:
    Wood Shop SouthEast Wall Cabinets.jpg

I haven’t gotten the plywood (3/4” for cabinet frame, 1/2” for drawers) yet but I’ve called around to some local places and I’m thinking about using CDX “grade” if there aren’t too many voids in the laminate. If so, I probably upgrade to BC grade which essentially doubles the cost. Has anyone built cabinets out of CDX grade?

I did order the drawer rails (24”, full extension) and I found a bundle of 10 for around $6.60/pair on Amazon. They came in on Friday and are a lot nicer than I was expecting.

IMG_0899.jpg

Anyhow, I hope to pick up the plywood and 2x4s this week and start working on the walls next week. I plan on documenting the process. Any suggestions and comments are welcome and thanks for taking a look.

I would not use CDX grade. Surface is not very smooth. I would use at least sanded ply, long term you will be much happier. Plus the ply will likely be flatter which will reduce construction issues.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    I would not use CDX grade. Surface is not very smooth. I would use at least sanded ply, long term you will be much happier. Plus the ply will likely be flatter which will reduce construction issues.
    BC good enough?

That is the kind of ply I was referring to as sanded. I just never heard of it referred to in that term.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I think I would add the restroom on the shop side to gain the extra room to the shop instead of the garage.

Looks good to me.I like reading/watching shop builds.

Before you commit to taking up all of that wall space figure out what else you will have along the walls. Taking up half of a wall in the middle is fine if you plan to have other walls free to put tools against.

3 ft to the left and 2 ft to the right is plently to support any wood.
    Don

So, I laid out a basic positioning of my tools that I have now to give you an idea.

Wood Shop All.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Don Jarvie View Post
    3 ft to the left and 2 ft to the right is plenty to support any wood.
    That would be fine if you always use short boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Zondor View Post
    So, I laid out a basic positioning of my tools that I have now to give you an idea.

Wood Shop All.jpg
    That gives you plenty of room to work.

That is a lot of drawer space. In other storage threads I've read, some people prefer shelves over drawers for some tools.
    Last edited by David Freed; 02-12-2017 at 4:17 AM.

Yeah, I wanted to have the ability to crosscut long peices. I always hated pulling out the metal saw horses to cut long pieces.

As far as the drawer space, I want to have enough tool storage for hand tools down the road. I collect antique tools and use them too.

Sure would be nice if you had the ability to pull that trailer farther to the "right" and have a way to utilize the space immediately behind the planned shop for woodworking tasks. With some creativity, you could pull that off with large doors, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I wouldn't build a bunch of cabinets until I had all the machines planned or in place. Missing are: thickness plane, shaper/router table, belt/disc sander, dust collector, plus woodworking bench, assembly table/bench, lumber and sheet goods storage, etc. Also, the positions for the machines that are shown don't seem related to how they will be used and don't allow for the other machines mentioned.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Sure would be nice if you had the ability to pull that trailer farther to the "right" and have a way to utilize the space immediately behind the planned shop for woodworking tasks. With some creativity, you could pull that off with large doors, etc.
    That side is reserved for the trailer and my tractor. I have big doors on both sides of the building to allow me to pull through with the trailer and keeps me from blocking in whatever I'm working on.

However, I do expect a time where I won't be doing as much car stuff and the wood shop will eventually spill into the car area.

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    I wouldn't build a bunch of cabinets until I had all the machines planned or in place. Missing are: thickness plane, shaper/router table, belt/disc sander, dust collector, plus woodworking bench, assembly table/bench, lumber and sheet goods storage, etc. Also, the positions for the machines that are shown don't seem related to how they will be used and don't allow for the other machines mentioned.
    You're right. I do need to finalize my tool and workflow layout. And yup, I do have a planer and a sander. Jointer is a future purchase.

Since I have 14' of hieght to work with, I was thinking about going up for wood storage. Also that spot to the left of the RAS was reserved for small wood storage.

Ok, how about this layout?

My thought here is, everything usually starts on the table saw to cut everything down to size. Or maybe the jointer then the table saw... then over to the RAS for further milling down to size. Next up, either the router, Drill press or bandsaw. Finally, either at the roubo style bench or the "out feed" / workbench for final assembly.

Wood Shop All 2.jpg