Thread: Western Red Cedar Source - Northern Nevada

Western Red Cedar Source - Northern Nevada

I am planning to begin a cedar strip canoe this summer. I have ordered a set of plans from Bear Mountain Boats. My difficulty is finding a good source of western red cedar.

Does anyone know a good source, I live in northwestern Nevada, and am willing to do some traveling if there is a place I can actually see the wood. Otherwise, any recommendations for sources to order the wood.

Would also like some western white cedar if I can get it.

Thanks.

Brad,
    Western Red is available everywhere throughout the Portland area , and Seattle as well. If you C list wrc around Portland closely for fencing material you will find little guys that cater to custom projects like 6x6 posts and beams, etc. If you inquire further you will find someone that knows someone with some clear air dried material.

I'll second Lud Martinson on that. Two companies I've dealt with personally, both located in Washington State, are Issaquah Cedar & Lumber (www.cedarexperts.com) and Bear Creek Lumber (http://www.bearcreeklumber.com). You can completely trust the grading on their cedar and for the premium material, which they have, you will pay for it. I don't know if Issaquah will ship but Bear Creek certainly will. I bought a fairly large order of 3"x6" clear VG from Issaquah that was not kiln dried. Not a single knot, absolutely beautiful wood. MC was at about 12-15% on pickup. Dried it myself.
    Don't ask me how I know that!