Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Bought A Frankensaw

I Bought A Frankensaw

Last Tuesday, I mentioned to one of the guys at the shop I work for that I was looking for a table saw. He said they still had the saws that they replaced with SawStops and were going to sell them.

I'll condense our discussions down to the deal the owner offered me.

They use hydraulic motors to run their saws. He thinks he sold the motors from the old saws, but he does still have the SawStop motors. I am going to buy a 20 year old Grizzly 1023 with a never used 3hp SawStop motor, and a long homemade fence and extra long (6 feet to the right of the blade) rails for $300. He told me to take it, get it put together, and use it before I pay for it to be sure everything still works good.

They were using this saw and fence every day in their shop and only replaced it with the SawStop after one of the boys got some fingers in the blade. It has some surface rust, but everything looks and feels in good shape.

They also have a 15 year old pm66 that I get first chance at if one of the boys don't want it. I would have to find a motor for it if I bought it.

Without seeing the saw and fence, sounds like a great deal to me, especially with a brand new 3 hp motor...That alone worth a couple hundred.

Sounds like you are off to a good start.

Interesting. There are a number mover of Amish around here who use hydraulic machines and they come up for sale every so often. How easy is it to convert back to electric?

Only comment I have is: "Will the Saw Stop motor fit a 20 year old Grizzly1023?"....

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Interesting. There are a number mover of Amish around here who use hydraulic machines and they come up for sale every so often. How easy is it to convert back to electric?
    If all the original parts were there, it would be really easy; 1/2 - 1 hour, depending on brand and design. Getting parts is what will take time if they aren't there.
    Last edited by David Freed; 02-11-2017 at 9:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    Only comment I have is: "Will the Saw Stop motor fit a 20 year old Grizzly1023?"....
    I was the one that suggested the mix. The bolt spacing is 3 1/2" on both. The bracket spacing is a little bigger on the motor. I will just use bushings to make it tight. I will need to get a new pulley unless I happen to have one in my stash of stuff.

I'm pretty good at making things work. The old Dodge pickup I used to have was running on a GM HEI ignition and a GM alternator. The Dodge ignition was very unreliable so I changed it. When the alternator went out GM was 1/2 the price of OE. It took an hours worth of work to save $40.

Just curious, what would the configuration look like and what would the advantage of using a hydraulic motor on a table saw? Would it consist of a non-electric driven pump (steam turbine perhaps?) to provide the hydraulic pressure to the hydraulic motor which powers the pump?

Unless I am mistaken, the 1023 is right tilt unless it is one of the newer ones and aren't the S.S. left tilt?? Does S.S. use import motors? I have had a couple of import motors that were non-reversible. Also had some that were. Check it out but sounds like a great deal anyway!!

Doug, I'd guess he's buying it from a religious group such as the Amish, who use hydraulic power (from gas generators I think). I don't think there's any mechanical advantage, rather a work around for their religious beliefs.

Not an electrician, but what is gonna make the SawStop fire if there is no electricity?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I deliver and help install for Amish cabinet shops. They use diesel engines that run hydraulics, electric generator, and air compressor. The Bishop at each church decides what is allowed and what isn't. Some shops have battery packs with inverters for 110v ac to run things like the SawStop. There are a few shops that have gone to completely ac, but still use a diesel generator.

The SawStop does work because one of the guys touched the blade with his finger a year ago and set it off. You could barely see it on his finger.

There is roughly 100 cabinet, door, and trim shops in a 10 mile radius here. Some have 1 or 2 people. Many have 5 - 10 employees. A few have 30 - 50 employees. Several semi loads of cabinets are made here every week.

I'd hold off for the running Powermatic, rather than some mismatched project that might work.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    I'd hold off for the running Powermatic, rather than some mismatched project that might work.
    The PM isn't running. I will have to buy a motor if I get it.

The Grizzly will work. I have modified and built from scratch several woodworking machines before.

David, it sounds like the owner wants you to have a saw that works well and doesn't expect payment until you are satisfied that it does. You've got the experience to make it work and the price is what you want to pay. I say buy it, if it meets your need. Once you get it up and running, post a couple pictures so we can all see your handiwork!

Best of luck!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”