Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fien Dust collectors

Fien Dust collectors

I am fixing to buy a new Fien or a Festool dust collector very hard choice. Did I read correct that Fien is 240v. or is Festool to ? That could be my deciding factor I can't always find a 240v. hook up on job sites.

I believe both the Fein and Festool are 110 volt.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I have both - very old Festool MIDI and a brand new Fein II. I like more a new one - much quieter, more powerful. Both 110V.
    Ed

Blog Entries
    Not a hard choice. The new Feins are nothing like their predecessors. Pretty much everything has changed except the color and the price. No more variable suction, now made by some eastern European company that makes vacs for several badges. Local Fein dealer dropped them from his store due to false expectations. Fein seems to have chosen a whole different section of the market to offer these tools to.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-12-2017 at 9:25 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

They are 220 in Europe, you may have been looking at an ad from over the pond. So no, you may not be losing it after all!

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Not a hard choice. The new Feins are nothing like their predecessors. Pretty much everything has changed except the color and the price. No more variable suction, now made by some eastern European company that makes vacs for several badges. Local Fein dealer dropped them from his store due to false expectations. Fein seems to have chosen a whole different section of the market to offer these tools to.
    Thats what I keep reading about them. Sad to hear they went down hill. No there really isnt any good competition for Festool.

OP: Both brands offer 110V versions.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I see on Fein's website there are even two new models, one with automatic filter cleaning. No pricing though.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Thanks It don't sound real positive for the Fien

I hate to hear this, as I have a Fein Turbo I being delivered from Amazon tomorrow. I had read some less than favorable reviews about the newer models, but good ones too. The idea is to use it to replace my aging Shop-Vac, run through a Dust Deputy. The lack of variable suction isn't a deal breaker, but if it isn't quiet AND powerful, it goes back.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post

Nick, I would love to hear how your purchase works out. I have been needing a vac and about to order the Fein I, but was put off by the reviews.

Again, I have both. My new Fein II I have - only enjoinment to use. Much quieter then MIDI, even it is slightly bigger - much easier to pull it by the hose when needed. More powerful suction.
    I don't know where all these negative review came from - I don't have experience with old Fein vac, but for last 7-8 month, I have a new one - only positive experience.
    Just one "negative" - no space for hose/ power cord, but I don't need it.
    Ed

That's encouaging, Eduard, and Bradley, I'll be glad to report back once the new one gets here.

I purposely chose the smaller Fein because of the Dust Deputy, since virtually all the dust, etc., ends up there. It'll sit on a shelf in the garage, so don't care how mobile it is. I don't even care about the tool plug-in, I just want strong and quiet.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    I hate to hear this, as I have a Fein Turbo I being delivered from Amazon tomorrow. I had read some less than favorable reviews about the newer models, but good ones too. The idea is to use it to replace my aging Shop-Vac, run through a Dust Deputy. The lack of variable suction isn't a deal breaker, but if it isn't quiet AND powerful, it goes back.
    If you had not run an older Fein there would be no basis for comparison. Like many things; if it is good for you, it is good. I have a couple of items that others find suboptimal but, they do the job for me.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I just bought a new shop vac last weekend but I didn't go the Fein/Festool route, I bought a Rigid, this one:

https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/4-gallon-wet-dry-vac

It pulls through a dust deputy that gets almost all the dust so I didn't want a large compartment on the shop vac. It has a 10 amp motor but only a 4 gallon compartment around the filter. I need to get the quasi HEPA filter still, it's $20 (HEPA fabric but not HEPA rated). It is not quiet by any stretch but works well - as does my older 7amp Rigid. I have a separate switch to turn it on when I turn the attached tool on.

I don't care about the noise because the other tools require me to wear hearing protection anyway. I can't hear the shop vac until I turn the other tool off (then it runs for 7 seconds and turns off).

I just want to mention that the shop vacuums being discussed here are not dust collectors and will not substitute for one. Dust collectors are designed to move mass quantities of air at a modest vacuum. They are the best for big stationary tools. Shop vacuums are designed to maintain a high negative pressure with a much smaller and tightly constrained air flow. These are more appropriate for use with electric hand tools. You will never be able to keep up with the dust and shavings from a planer or jointer using even a top-of-the-line shop vac. On the other hand, a dust collector won't maintain suction through a 2.5 inch hose typically used with electric hand tools. The shop vac is the better choice.