Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fien Dust collectors

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Not a hard choice. The new Feins are nothing like their predecessors. Pretty much everything has changed except the color and the price. No more variable suction, now made by some eastern European company that makes vacs for several badges. Local Fein dealer dropped them from his store due to false expectations. Fein seems to have chosen a whole different section of the market to offer these tools to.
    That makes me love my 10 year old T-III even more.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Vacuum gloat?

Well the Fein in the garage works wonderful. You can select to have it start when the tools starts or just turn it on. It's hooked up to Festool hand tools and couldn't work better.

Thanks for all the comments believe i will lean toward a festool.

My Fein Turbo I has been delivered and I can give you a quick first-blush impression. I like it a lot.

It's replacing a garden variety Shop-Vac that's rated at 6 HP and 90 CFM. The Fein doesn't list HP, but CFM is rated 151.

The Fein is very noticeably quieter. Measured sitting next to each other, using my phone app, the Shop Vac is 77 db, the Fein is 63db. Aside from the volume, the noise that the Fein makes is less strident and high pitched. Really don't need any meters to judge this aspect of it.

I'm using the exact same hose arrangement for both machines. That is, I'm connecting the same 2.5" hose from the Dust Deputy directly into the inlet on the vacuum. While the Fein feels stronger, I can't be sure by how much, as I'm only judging with my hand at the end of the pickup hose. I'll have a better feel for that after using it with the router table.

While they did drop the suction control switch on the vacuum, they do have a sliding vent on the business end of the hose fitting where it attaches to a tool, if that's important to you. I won't be using the stock Fein hose, so I'll lose that feature.

The Fein connects to the standard DD hose easily enough, by removing the stock fitting from the Fein hose. The end that used to go into the Fein hose now easily fits into the stock DD hose. A quick hose clamp there and you're good to go. (What you do for a hose from the DD to your tools is up to you. I use about 20' of 2.5" hose to go to various tools and to clean the floor.)

No idea how the new Fein compares to the old Fein, or the Festools, but so far I'd definitely choose it again over the Shop Vac. I'll update if anything changes, and if anyone has questions, fire away.