Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where do you buy your wood screws?

Where do you buy your wood screws?

I've generally bought wood screws at the big box stores (HD, Lowes). However, I think these screws, Grip-Rite, other brands I can't recall, are not the highest quality. After I had two 3" screws break off when I was trying to attach a SYP fence to a crosscut sled (yes, I had pilot holes but they could have been undersized), I decided I might need to start buying better quality screws. Just wondering where everyone buys there wood screws from? Of course, we all want the best quality at the lowest price. Thanks!
    Last edited by Mike Manning; 02-12-2017 at 1:00 PM.

I use McFeely's. I just keep a tab on which sizes I need and order a few hundred at a time when I'm running low. I use the unplated steel wood screws.

I buy Spax at Home Depot or GRK at Lowes. These are both very high quality screws. Both of them have different varieties fro different applications.

McMaster-Carr mostly, but eventually I plan to give McFeely's a try.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

In some cases.....you'll find the same brand that's sold in big box stores are better quality in the Mom n' Pop stores.

McFeely's. Been high quality every time I buy from them.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Ditto with McFeely's. Have always been happy with their selection and quality.

I finally gave up on trying new screw sources and pretty much exclusively use GRKs and GRIP RITE screws now.

• They are always available locally. • They come in all kinds of sizes. • They are all torque drives that can be set and reset without stripping out.

• They have drill tips so you can be pretty casual about pre drilling under many circumstances.

• Available with normal wood screw heads but also as trim screws and pan heads too for cabinet hanging.

• Useful for any work from framing to cabinetry to attaching trim to cabinetry etc.

• I pay a bit more up front but since I can buy these locally I don't pay any S&H.

This has been a long time developing and a good solution.

Spax and GRK exclusively for me. Have gotten them in small quantities from the home centers or occasionally bulk packs for oft-used sizes on Amazon (or 3rd party sellers on Amazon).

The Deckmates (coated exterior screws) at the orange store are pretty decent screws as well.

McFeeley's is where I source the majority of my screws and I pretty much strictly use square drive/Robertson screws.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

McFeeley's is where I like to purchase but in a pinch the Home Depot sells screws. That said, the hardware from Home Depot doesn't compare well against McFeeley's hardware.

I buy from either Wurth Louis or from a wholesale company locally, when I buy in bulk. For small numbers I check out Ace Hardware. I try not to buy from either of the Borg as the selection is limited and I don't like paying $1.19 for five screws.

For general construction and cabinet work my goto screw is GRK. They make a phenomenally consistent product. For bronze wood screws (Frearson) I have a local marine shop that is very reasonable and/or I purchase through Jamestown Distributors. For stainless typically I buy locally at West Marine. I've become so disgusted with the stuff that I buy at the local home center that I really try to avoid it.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Pocket screws - Kreg, assembly screws - Wurth, drywall screws - Lowes, drawer slide screws- Wurth

I've never bought from McFeeley's. For those of you who do buy from them are you buying the McFeeley's brand? I guess the answer if probably yes as it seems that's the predominate brand they offer.