Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bonnet Top Spice Chest

Bonnet Top Spice Chest

I have always wanted to build a Bonnet Top Secretary or HighBoy, but the ceilings in my house are not tall enough. So I enjoy building Spice Chests and figured I would try to build a bonnet on one. I case is made from air dried Walnut and the drawers are made from Maple with Tiger Maple fronts. I made the bonnet from 5 layers of veneer to achieve about 1/8th thickness. I was amazed at how powerful a vacuum press could be. I imploded three jigs before I constructed one that worked. There were a lot of firsts in this build. I had not turned since Middle School and had never carved anything. All in all it was a fun build. Maybe now I will build the Secretary, just scale it down a bit to look right in my house. Thanks to everyone for their knowledge and advice I have gotten from this site.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Love that form, really beats the heck out of the GERSTNER chests!

WOW Robert, nicely done!

You nailed it! Build the secretary!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Very nicely done Sir! Very nicely done!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

What a beautiful chest, Robert ! There's lots of detail to attend to in this build. I love the tiger maple drawer fronts. Did you hand carve the rosettes at the top ? It would certainly be the focus if it were in my kitchen.

Stunning. Truly.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Fantastic! And nice precision on the drawer divides. That would make a dandy shop organizer for screws and bolts

The bonnet sections are glued laminations bent over a form? You used a vacuum bag but is that something that could be done with press forms or, as in veneering, would there be too much of a risk of leaving voids and creating an uneven bond?

Absolutely beautiful.

How did you finish it?

10. Wow! Don't know what to say that hasn't been said, but I love it! I like the mix of maple and walnut. Not something you usually see on a spice chest, but neither is a bonnet top and you pulled that off nicely as well!

Robert that's a very nice looking spice chest. Actually, I think construction of a highboy will seem like a cinch compared to the spice chest, there is just so much fussy fiddlely work in spice chests, kind of like a secretary gallery.

I think Robert LaPlaca makes a good point. For one thing the tops of the few period highboys I've seen with bonnet tops did not have the nicely worked highly finished look that adds so much to the smaller piece.

Yonak, Yes I did hand carve the rosettes at the top. They were actually my first attempt at carving. I watched a couple videos but I guess beginners luck. Thanks

Thanks Robert. It was dyed with a light brown dye, 2- 1.5# Garnet shellac coats. Then sprayed with Target EM6000. Drawer Fronts were finished with Blonde Shellac, then EM6000

Wow, just wow. I think that just took spice boxes to a whole new level