Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Woodshop Ceiling Suggestions??

If you watch Menards will have a metal sale on there panels and will overlap with the 11% off I bought it a couple years ago I can't remember what the actual cost was but I purchased it Easter weekend.

Steve, I built my barn a few years ago and I installed a metal ceiling, and am very happy with it. There is an Amish supply store in my area and they make sheets of ceiling material specific to customer requests. I would think you would want to run your metal ceiling perpendicular to your truss direction. That is what I did. I assume for you that means you would run the metal ceiling in the 32' direction. I ordered my ceiling material to be 16'2" long so I had an overlap at the truss that they met. That would work great for you with 32' dimension. Use a drywall lift and the sheets go up very easy, I did my barn ceiling alone in this method.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Goetz View Post
    Thank you all for the information. Hopefully soon, I can get started on this project. For those that have metal...or the like...as there ceiling material--which direction did you run your material? My barn is 24x32 with the large sliding door on the 24' side and a man door on the 32' side. Not sure which direction to run the metal to be more aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

Steve, I know this is a long shot. I got my ceiling tiles free. A construction crew was repurposing a closed Borders building. When they do that they gut everything ceiling included. They let me have as many ceiling tiles as I wanted. I had to buy the rails around $150, but I am very happy having a drop ceiling. My ceiling is 12'. I bought a HF drywall lifter and used scaffolding to install. Since I have 12' ceilings I use the HF lift to put things up on high shelvees. I realize this is a "right place" thing, but it happened for me.

IMG_1816.jpg
    Last edited by William C Rogers; 02-21-2017 at 9:26 AM.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Steel spans trusses 4' oc no problem.

Tony, what is the spacing on your trusses? Did you have to put in any blocking?

Steve my trusses are 2' on center because I have an upstairs, but I only screwed the ceiling material to every other truss because it doesn't need anything more than that. I have seen it installed on 4' OC trusses with no issues. I did not need any bridging because I went perpendicular to the trusses which is the best way to install IMO.

Thanks all for the insight. I didn't realize that I could span steel siding 4' O/C without problems! I think this is the way that I'm going to go. Doing the quick math, Durapanels through Menards would cost less than $500....I couldn't hang and finish drywall for that.

I have 4' spacing on my trusses, and my ceiling (in the shop). I used 26 ga. galvanized steel roofing panels (which I had just removed from a roof) to cover my ceiling. A friend and I put up the 1000 sq ft ceiling in 8 or 9 hours using roofing screws. Blown-in fiberglass insulation sits on top of the tin. I'd do it again in a heartbeat - no disadvantages. Reflects light well too.