Thread: Alternative to router inlay?

Alternative to router inlay?

This is about trying to do inlay where my traditional straight line and curve inlay tools are not optimal----way off the edge of wood, for instance.

So-last two weekends I been trying to inlay some very minute (3/4") letters into some Cherry. Will also want to inlay long straight lines way off edge inside some letter trays.

So, I got a 1/32" downcut spiral bit, chucked it into my Rotozip, and did OK till I set it down on the bit, and it snapped off immediately.

Those such bits are around $20 each.

Not good.

I stumbled upon some engraving bits in the LV catalog for $3 each. Will likely leave a pretty ragged surface edge if used for inlay, right?

Is there a decent solution to trying to get a 1/32" or so inlay w a router using a less expensive engraving bit?

Thanks a bunch.
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Thanks, Ross.

I read that page. It is a great method, just like we have always done in general woodworking-incise along the edge of my inlay, then cut. Right? That way, the edge is clean. Perfect.
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)