Thread: MiniMax CU300 Smart Used Prices?

MiniMax CU300 Smart Used Prices?

Hello everyone,

I recently just "hand-shaked" on deal for a used 2012 MM CU300 Smart w/ 5.5 Ft slider and mortiser. He wanted $7,000 but I was able to knock it down to $6,000.

The machine looks in pretty decent shape - mind you I haven't started her up yet.

I was wondering if anyone has purchased a similar used machine and if so - what was payed for it....

Let me know if this is a good or bad deal...??

If your happy with it, then it is a good deal.

so if all tell ya you got bad deal ya going to UN Hand shake????

Thanks for your responses and putting things in perspective. Value has different meaning to different people I guess. I was only curious as to what people paid for a used machine like this. I will follow thru with this deal no matter what - not often that I see a used COMBO machine like this go for sale, for that reason - ill be moving forward with this purchase.

I have the same machine.
    What you're really going to like is the extra space you have so you can buy some more really great machines.

Not sure what "pretty decent shape" means, but if it is in good shape then you got a great machine at a great price. Some newer machines are not in good shape, and some older machines are in great shape. I bought one recently, a 2002 model, that is in very good condition and I am delighted, I think you will be too!

Good luck.

Thanks John, We started her up last night - made all three motors turn and they are they loud! there is some vibration but it may be because his floor is so uneven. Comes with all the accessories except the shorter miter rail - which I may end up making one out of 80/20 extrusions if MM wants to charge an arm and a leg for one. There is a little flex at the end of the table saw fence, but I think this is common with this type of fence. He told me the end of the fence can be locked down with additional piece of hardware. Nonetheless, I'm totally excited about the purchase - now I gotta sell my table saw, jointer/planer, and my MFT.

Quote Originally Posted by john lawson View Post
    Not sure what "pretty decent shape" means, but if it is in good shape then you got a great machine at a great price. Some newer machines are not in good shape, and some older machines are in great shape. I bought one recently, a 2002 model, that is in very good condition and I am delighted, I think you will be too!

Good luck.

I bought a NEW CU300 Classic 5.5 w/o mortise and an E16 in 2008 for about $12K. A Smart (the same basic machine with a more robust slider and different switches at each station) that is 4 years newer for $6K is a VERY good deal if the machine is in working condition and without defect.

Congrats to you!
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

Pics! We need pics!

IMG_2014.JPGIMG_2013.JPGIMG_2016.JPGIMG_2015.JPG

Turns out I just bought one used. Sounds like the same deal, possibly even the same saw (seller said prior deal fell through). In MA. It is definitely used, but no abuse that I can tell (although the planer, shaper, and mortiser appear mostly unused - I believe the owner used it primarily for cabinet building with the slider)

Had to rent a liftgate truck to get it home and into my shop. We will see how this experiment goes, I bought it primarily for space saving. Previous I had my tablesaw in a separate area than the rest of my shop, and wanted to consolidate it into one space and leave room for other stuff (like a ping pong table for the kids).

Previously I had a 10" grizzly tablesaw, a 12" bridgewood jointer, a 15" jet planer, and a jet shaper that are all being sold and replaced with this EU300. I gain a mortiser, which I do believe will get use. The shaper I never used much but am picking up a feeder to use with it and still need to figure out mounting. I am concerned with only a 12" planer coming down from a 15" that I loved. And I sharpen the planer blades myself (frequently planing rough lumber or dirty boards), so am concerned about tersa planer knife cost as time goes on. The good news is I can have a rough set and a super sharp set and change out quickly. The jointer bed length is much less than the bridgewood, but I dont think that will be a huge problem since I usually have stock in shorter segments before I run through the jointer.

Am confident I will like the slider, but not sure if ripping on it will bug me (or if I will just use the bandsaw more). And the shaper we will see...

Pics attached. Still have to move some other equipment and hookup dust collection, but its going to work in a MUCH smaller shop floorspace (placed so I have 8ft infeed and outfeed). My shop has a smooth floor so if I have a batch that needs more working space I can pull it over a few feet then push it back. The johnson bar does a pretty good job of making it easy to move.

To your question: I believe $6000 is a good deal. As another poster said - it is at least, if you are satisfied with it. Which I am. If I dont like the saw I believe it can be resold without losing much $ on the deal, although I plan on keeping it for a long time.