Thread: Mystery Wood Glue Up?

Mystery Wood Glue Up?

I have 2 pieces of a dark brown wood.Size is 1 1/2" by 3/4" thick 26 inches long.It is a hardwood.When you drill in it wood just gets stuck in drill bit sort of like granadillo does.It might be a rosewood but Im not sure.Anyhow Im a flute maker and I have done the necessary routing to turn it into a flute. After gluing up I will have to turn the 1 1/2" square into a flute shape. Question is the best glue for this type of wood.I normally use titebond 2 or 3 but I wonder on this one.I wondered about gorilla glue but it would be hard yo impossible to clean up some parts on the inside that I can not get to once it is glued together. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

If you get the pieces flat and smooth, Titebond will work fine. Gorilla glue foams up a bit and it a little better for situations were the boards are not flat and smooth.

BTW, rosewood is fairly high on the toxicity scale. If sensitive to it, it could blister the lips of the flute player. Check it out...

Gorilla glue tested out at 50% of the strength of all the other glues in an extensive Fine Woodworkers test a few years ago. They didn't like any of its properities. It appears to sell on it's name only.

I think there are usually reasons deemed more important than "strength"; open time, temperature requirements,viscosity, cleanup. And I stubornly continue to trust my experience over any tests.

Actually, I agree with Robert. I've used Gorilla glue in the past but no longer use it.

Thanks gys.I dont like the Gorrila glue either.Ill go with the titebond.Ill look at this wood a little more and see if I can identify it too.Im not really sure what it is.I got it in a trade yrs ago and finally decided to do something with it.Dont want myself or anyone to have a bad reaction to it.I have been cautious with it when I did the little machining I did to it. Thanks again!

I use Gorilla glue for any "oily" wood or anything that may get wet. It's 100% waterproof. There are just as many yea/nay tests out there so it's just a matter of who you want to believe. I have heard many, many people say Titebond III is waterproof but , for instance, this comparison says it's not. http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p=51166&cat=1,110,42965&ap=1
    (click on the "tech" at the bottom of the page)

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    If you get the pieces flat and smooth, Titebond will work fine. Gorilla glue foams up a bit and it a little better for situations were the boards are not flat and smooth.

BTW, rosewood is fairly high on the toxicity scale. If sensitive to it, it could blister the lips of the flute player. Check it out...
    Agreed - use a mouth piece of ebony or ebonite,....something inert.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Can you post some pictures?

Check out the FW test on the web. They did something like 2400 glue joints in tight, loose and just right fits. Sent these to a University lab for breaking under lab machines. I was glad to see some realistic tests on a very subjective subject without just opinions.

I also used to glue up my laminated fishing net frames with Gorilla Glue. Have since switched to Titebond III. Th FW test indicated that GG would foam up if there was a gap, but this did not create a strong connection. Titebond III was actually better at gap filling than GG was.

I still use GG, but primarily when gluing dissimilar items together such as gluing my brass barrels into pen-turning blanks. I've been happy with its performance there.

As always, YMMV.

Clint

The only situation I have found where Gorilla Glue is as good or better than Titebond III is when you are gluing wood to plastic or other materials besides wood.