Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have drawer, need a case to stick it in...

Have drawer, need a case to stick it in...

I went out and bought another "Gold plated" pine board the other day. A 1 x 10 x 8'.....$15?

Did a bit of measuring on an old drawer..
    old drawer.JPG
    As I intend to build a second one of these. And the case to hold both drawers.
    Crosscut a plank, resaw a few times....
    DSCF0001.JPG
    Joint the saw marks off with a #14 jack plane. Soon had a stack of parts on the bench..
    parts.JPG
    That "square" is actually four parts stacked together...only needed 6, but it is safer to have extras
    Had four pieces to make corner posts with, and they needed a groove milled in the one edge...
    groovy.JPG
    Someday, I will wind up wearing that old 45 out...
    I also did my thing with a few dovetails..
    DSCF0005.JPG
    Front corners get dovetailed, back will get a dado....

Part 2 is on the way...

Part 2: Drawer and a few other parts needed some grooves made. Corner posts have theirs done, but the rails needed theirs. Corner post grooves were 1/2" deep. The rest of the grooves need to be at 3/8" deep.
    groovy jig.JPG
    To hold onto the short rails, I needed a jig. Notches in the jig to clear the fence on the Stanley 45. Square is set to double check the depth. Needed 4 with a single groove, and 2 with a double groove ( one on each edge), slightly off-set. Needed a little more "meat? to nail into. Set aside a set of parts for one side of the case. Cut a few tenons to match the grooves, and sized a few plywood panels, then a dry fit..
    test fit.JPG
    Long legged thing, ain't it? Legs are to fit over the bench's stretcher. Fit seems to be about right....time for the glue, clamps and nails
    glue up.JPG
    One nail into each tenon. Set this aside, as the 45 is still set up for grooves..
    sides grooved.JPG
    Now, the drawer front was easy to do, just hold it between dog and vise, these side pieces needed the jig redone....No.12 cutter for all of these grooves.
    Dados? Re-do the jig, yet again, install a 1/2" wide cutter in the 45. Saw cuts to prevent blow-outs. and away we go..
    dado.JPG
    All that fussing around, just to do two of these....dry fit
    messy bench.JPG
    Back at one time was the side of a 2x4 I resawn down to 1" thick, this is the 1/2" thick cut-off.

Put the four pieces of the drawer into a dry fit..
    dry fit.JPG
    Use this to size a plywood bottom panel. Got it cut to almost fit.....getting late in the day, it can wait until Tuesday. Dungeon Woodworking Shop is closed on Mondays.

So, Tuesday...I can fit up this drawer, and get it glued up and in the clamps. I can also get the clamps off the first side assembly, and glue up the other side.
    Will need to make 3 web-frames, and a front to match the existing drawer
    front view.JPG
    That way, I can "hide" the dovetails from other's view.
    Might have this done by next weekend, if other things don't get in the way....stay tuned to this Batty Channel....

I try to keep the wood working part of the shop closed on Mondays ( Rehab Center is open, though)

Today being Tuesday, shop is opened up for wood working, again. Have the second side assembly sitting in the clamps. Have all the parts for three web-frames cut to size. Have a fancy front's blank cut to size. May get a few pictures after supper?

Need to build the web-frames next, so I can figure out a top for the case. We'll see how it goes this evening.....film @ 2300 hrs....I hope.

Ok, resawed a 1 x10 down for a blank to make a fancy drawer front...
    drawer fronts.JPG
    Plan is to match the existing front. Sometime. Side #2 is about ready to exit the clamps..
    side frames.JPG
    Needed at least one, so I could figure out the sizes for the web-frames. Had the long rails resawn and to length, it was the short ones that needed figured out...twice.
    Once the short rails were all trimmed to length, I could set up for some tenons to be cut. Reset the resaw jig twice, once for the cheek cuts, and once for the shoulder cuts..wound up with a stack in the jig..
    stack of offcuts.JPG
    Dominos, anyone? Wound up with these things...
    tenons done.JPG
    Ok, need to clear the bench. Sides get stashed under the bench,,
    stashed away.JPG
    Which is about where this dresser will call home. Drag out an old jig..
    mortise jig.JPG
    We have mortises to chop...

Mortise work. I take one short rail as a pattern, and a long rail. Needed some toys to do the job, too.
    set up.JPG
    Couple of chisels, a saw, a mallet for the chisels, a square to layout with. I mark out where the tenon goes..
    DSCF0010.JPG
    To keep each tenon aligned with each mortise, I add a letter to each at that corner. The saw cuts the waste sides of the lines. I overcut a hair at the back. Saw is at an angle. Then a chisel to chop down at the back, and then pop the waste up and out...
    completed mortise.JPG
    Until I get to here. rotate, dig another hole, and soon enough, I have two frames set aside, all glued up, with a couple nails in each tenon...checking for square as I went..
    frames done.JPG
    Stashed out of the way. The third and last frame was a bit different, as the tenons were smaller..
    small tenon.JPG
    Which meant smaller holes to chop..
    small mortise.JPG
    To get things to sit just right...
    fitted.JPG
    Could finally glue and clamp the third frame together.....did you ever need a third hand while doing one of these?
    clamped up.JPG
    Hey, it works. Will let this just sit there awhile, I am plumb tuckered out. Maybe I might get something done tomorrow? Stay tuned.

Getting things checked for sizes....one drawer is a tight fit, the one laying on the bench will need a bit more tuning up, once I have it glued up
    DSCF0001.JPG
    Trying to get kickers, and face frame parts sized and cut. Piece of plywood serves as a top, for now. May need to buy one more board....

IF Mr. Gumption finds me today...there may be something getting done down there.....

Ok, just an update. Trying to see what I am typing..TIA hit this evening.....had to stop for the night in the shop..

Got the bottom drawer glued up, after doing a bit of "trim to fit"
    glued up.JPG
    One end of the plywood bottom was way out of square, too. Got things squared up.

Fought the face frame parts for a while, but all three are dovetailed in place, and I added a few screws.....holds better than non-existent clamps.
    face framed.JPG
    Got those dividers in the old drawer all nailed in place....then did a test fit...
    .test fit.JPG
    Took a couple tries to get enough clearance for it to slide in, Was having trouble seeing what I was doing, left arm was going numb...I place the case in it's new home..
    DSCF0006.JPG
    And called it a night. Went upstairs to take a nap, and let the TIA clear. Feeling a bit better, now. I'll see how it goes tomorrow, though, BEFORE I start in again...
    Top is looking like it will be a glued up panel/shelf type of thing. Will atach the dresser to the stretcher, when it is done. Stay tuned...

Drawer is out of the clamps, dovetails are cleaned up..
    DSCF0002.JPG
    Face frame was a might too tight...trimmed it back a bit, till the drawer finally fit..
    DSCF0003.JPG
    Then discovered WHY I do not do carving..
    DSCF0004.JPG
    In trying to match the other drawer front. I was trying to make that curved cut on the end, and the blade on the bandsaw skipped out and then skipped to my finger...couple of bandaids...meh. Marking gauge, a chisel and a saw, to make most of the mess..
    .DSCF0006.JPG
    One area wasn't too easy to do..
    DSCF0005.JPG
    No, I do not have a spindle sander. Waste was dug out with the bandsaw, then a spokeshave will clean this up.

Need to smooth the edges a bit more, run out to buy some 1-1/4" screws to attach the false front to the drawer, and install a pair of knobs.

later, I'll layout for dividers, and set the wood handled "extras" in the bottom drawer. I also picked a couple boards to glue up into a top/shelf. I might even had a plywood panel for the back. Case will get attached to the bench, to keep it from walking around. Stay tuned...

Steven, You have way too much fun in your dungeon shop. Always enjoy your projects. Gives me some inspiration to build something. Keep it up!
    Jim

Thank you.

Got that troublesome drawer installed today..
    done.JPG
    This isn't all that big....A glue up of two 1 x6 boards will make a top for this. I intend to extend the top onto the right and have it as a shelf. More storage.
    Top corners look ugly because I forgot to use half dovetails up there...
    DSCF0002.JPG
    Drawers are loaded up, though..
    loaded up bottom drawer...JPG
    Bottom drawer needs a kicker added, to avoid it tipping down....upper drawer..
    DSCF0005.JPG
    Is just fine. Maybe the Witch's Brew as the finish, again?

Test fitted a shelf/top tonight..
    DSCF0001.JPG
    Have attached a support on the end down at the vise. have not attached anything else in place. Just seeing will fit, and what will not..

Steven,

+1 on what James said!

Hey, the famous "Witches Brew" worked on the other project!

Stew

I got lucky. We have a small lumber co. run by a friend. He got me SYP at $1.00 a bd. ft. unplaned. (NOT A DISCOUNT). I soon fixed that,though(the planing!). The NEXT batch WAS planed to 3/4",most excellently smooth! I couldn't have done it better,so didn't mind the pre planing. And cost $2.00 per bd. ft. Good HARD pine,NOT that crud they sell at Lowes,which is soft as butter. It would make good kindling to build a signal fire to warn everyone that the Spanish fleet ( by now,1 WWI battle ship,2 destroyers,and 15 fishing boats) was coming!! I made my 450 feet of shelving around the inside of my and my wife's shop with it. Still have a few left over planks,but the cost of mailing would be too high to be worth mailing it.

This sawmill specializes in custom cutting colonial,18th. C. size wood beams and planks for museum use! A GREAT gig he chose. That is like having the only show in town. Services museums all over the country.
    Last edited by george wilson; 02-19-2017 at 9:15 AM.

Wasn't too impressed with Lowes pine boards...
    DSCF0009.JPG
    This is what I had to cut off one of the two 1x6s for that shelf. Had to also do quite a bit of jointer work to make a glue joint..
    DSCF0002.JPG
    Plane is an OHIO Tool Co. No. 0-7......I had both 1x6s in the vise, and clamped at the other end. Then some clamps...
    DSCF0008.JPG
    Still had to add that clamp on the end, to level the two ends out. Lots of clamps, took up the entire bench..
    DSCF0007.JPG
    Not much work will get done there, for a while....as for the cause of the bad lumber?
    DSCF0010.JPG
    That curved cut-off? This was the reason for the bent board. Some Dummy was in too big of a hurry when picking two boards. Already had reject about...a dozen boards....
    Figure I can resaw the bad stuff down, for cleats and jigs......and the next BBQ...

Need to schedule a bit of shoptime, this week, maybe I can get this little project done. I don't want to attach it too firmly to the bench....just enough to hold things still.

Next project? We'll see.....maybe something that would involve more dovetails? They are a bit addicting......