Thread: Sorby sovereign ultima hollowing tool on a articulated hollowing system?

Sorby sovereign ultima hollowing tool on a articulated hollowing system?

Hello all,

i recently purchased a monster articulated hollowing system. I have been looking at add on cutters that would make hollowing more enjoyable and efficient. I am curious if anyone has used the ultima hollower on a hollowing system and how did you like it. I like the look of the Munro hollowers but the price is twice as much as sorby. I known you get what you pay for but is there that much of a difference. What other cutters would you recommend. Have a 3520b with extension if it make any difference for tools. Thanks for the help.

Check out the Woodcut cutting tip--been using one for 20 years on 10-20" vases and urns--enough said. I use it on a homemade Jamison type controled rig.

I assisted Steve Sinner in a week long deep hollowing class a few yrs ago. Steve & I use the Rolly Munro both at our own studios & in teaching classes. We've been using the same Rolly Munro cutter since 2008 & were still using it today.
    There were 3 students that brought the Sorby with them and wanted to use them in boring bars. 2 of the three broke within a hour & the 3rd guy stopped using his right after the second one broke. I wouldn't recommend using it in a boring system.
    Steve & I have been playing with the Pro Form guarded cutter in the boring bars & they seem to work really well. However we haven't used it enough to have to sharpen it yet. It's a high speed steel cutter and will need sharpening soon. I have to wonder how many times it can be sharpened before it's useless. It doesn't look like there's that much steel to it & it would be worn away easily.
    We use carbide cutters in the Rolly Munro and have gotten about one years use out of it endgrain hollowing hardwoods one to two days a week for 4 to 6 hrs each of those days. Then throw them away buy a new one for around $22. No time spent sharpening them I feel there a great value.
    It's my opinion that even as expensive as they are a Rolly Munro is worth the price.
    The best price I have found on them is from Advanced Lathe Tools LLC directly from Steve.

I am considering the monster hollowing system. Is there a problem with the included cutters?

Worry not--the Proform--Woodcut cutters last for me 5-7 years+--be sure to sharpen them only on the inside edge. I use a 4" long diamond hand hone for everyday and a dremel with a bullet shaped stone rarely. I give my old cutters to friends who keep using them for more years. I make a lot of vases. They will cut many times faster than the Monroe--Bore a center hole and cut with the left side of the cutter and enjoy seeing 1/2" curls flooding out. I spend more time emptying the curls than cutting them. This is a cutting bit and not a scraper like most bits. Hold your rpm's down or it will self feed and bog your lathe and operator.

I have the Pro-Forme Flexi Hollower from Woodcut and I use it for open forms like vases and such. It cuts like a bear but I would not use it in a hollow form because it would fill a hollow form with chips so fast that it may give you problems getting the tool or chips out.

I totally agree with all the comments above about Pro-Forme Woodcut cutters.

The Monster system is a good system and the 3/16 cutters are what I use on any hollow forms with a narrow opening. However you typically have a depth limit of ~8", otherwise you will start getting bad vibrations. For larger opening hollow forms, vases and bowls* I switch to the Pro-Forme Woodcut bars and cutters because I can remove wood fast and under control.

*If the wood is difficult to remove with a bowl gouge or I spend too much time with the bowl gouge it aggravates my shoulder.

I also have the Jamison system and will use the Pro-Forme bars and cutters in it. Last week I used the combo to finish a white oak bowl that had a section with twisted grain that was a challenge with the bowl gouge. The Woodcut cutters will self-feed if not careful and they did and stalled the lathe (3520b). Slower is better and don't under estimate the cutting ability of a narrow gate setting on the cutter.

Late update--sorry. There is a demo of the Proform cutter on U-Tube at the present for those interested turners.