Thread: Powerfeed rollers slipping.

Powerfeed rollers slipping.

4 wheel power feeder, PM PF-41. I can't get consistent feeding. Table is clean and well lubed. I've tried more pressure and less pressure. I've tried cleaning the tires. I even tried lightly scuffing the tires. What am I missing?

Thanks!
    Tim

You don't say how old the feeder is but if it is older the rollers may have hardened. Replacements can be gotten. I've used Western Roller on several occasions and been really happy with their products.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Hi Tim,

I would try 80 grit sand paper and give them a good sanding. Raise the feeder up, turn it on, and give them a good sanding. I agree with Steve, but the sanding may help.

Sam

There's no secret if your talking about stock feeder wheels, it's well documented that they pretty much suck. Short term no money fix, use a rag to soak them in lacquer thinner, (or harsh solvent of choice), then hit them with the coarsest sandpaper you can find. It'll get you through a couple weeks to a couple months depending on how much you use the feeder. But they will glaze over again in short time regardless. Long term solution is to replace with a set of poly wheels from someone like Western Roller. You'll spend a few bucks but won't ever have to worry about them again.

Now if you already have poly wheels and your feeder is still slipping....something is definitely not right. For most cuts like say sticking, you should only need about 1/8" of wheel deflection to grab tight. If your really hogging out a serious profile you may need to go as much as 1/4", to get a solid grip.

good luck,
    JeffD

Yeah,Western Roller. Time for OSHA to do something USEFUL ,like over ruling sale of those worthless stock tires. I once heard them tell a shop owner that his drill press base wasn't big enough and had to be replaced. So I've seen them over rule use of commonly sold stuff.

http://www.westernroller.com/products/super-feed/

Yellow has been great for me on the power feeders. I have red P2000 on the moulder and wish I had gone for yellow.
    JR

Agree yellow is the one to use. I have a Felder 20" planer that came with a rubber infeed roller that got soft And fell apart. I sent it to Western Roller and had them cover it with the yellow and it has been working great.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    Soften the rollers with laquer thinner and then apply a coat or two of Plastidip.

Thank you all! I was afraid to rough up the tires more aggressively than I did but that is what I'll do while I look into Western Roller. I'd suspected the stock tires were just old and tired (pun). Time to retire them.

Thanks again!
    Tim

They made blue ones for my festo feeder. They are a little more soft, I like that for my shaper.

So to add to my previous post.....if your going with sandpaper a method I used to use was to take a 36 grit sanding belt, slice it so it's now a straight length, and tack one end to a long piece of scrap plywood. Clamp the piece to the top of your machine and slowly lower the running feeder until all the wheels make contact.....then just let the feeder do the work for several minutes or so and your good to go.....at least for a little while

good luck,
    JeffD

I put the blue / purple ones on 2 of my feeders.. same thing .. stock tires, older .. no good.. Amazing difference.. shocking ...