Thread: Species for circular cutting boards?

Species for circular cutting boards?

I'll buy 5/4 to make these, circular, 1" finished thickness, 16" diameter, edge-glued pieces, a milled round-bottom groove near the perimeter for catching juice drippings.

The best I see for sale on Amazon are black walnut. I can get about anything and am thinking claro walnut, a little heavier and harder than black walnut.

But the choices are endless. What might work and look best?

Blog Entries
    I would avoid red oak as it is open pored. Maple, ash hickory, white oak, and walnut all make good cutting boards. Poplar, stains easily as does Birch. I would avoid wood from all pines, spruces and other conifers.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

As Lee says, hard maple, birch, cherry, beech, sycamore and other closed grain (diffuse porous) species are always a popular choices. Poplar is pretty soft and may not hold up all that well for the application. You will get a good discussion about the use of open-pored (ring porous) species. Many people say that any juices seeping into the pores are quickly neutralized by the wood but others say not. Although lots of those who say not will use walnut or ash, so go figure. Going with an end grain orientation opens the pores to the cutting surface.

Lee mentions staining. I never considered staining a cutting board as I'm not sure what chemicals would be introduced but it's something to research.