Thread: Is This a Grizzly g1018 and Worth The Price?

Is This a Grizzly g1018 and Worth The Price?

Does this look like a G1018 8" jointer? Seller doesn't "know" the model #. It's wired for 220. I looked up the cost of knives and cutterheads. A spiral head for this model stated for post 1992 and newer models with a 2 belt motor. This looks like a single belted model, I can't tell.

Seller is asking $400 and about 45-60 minutes away. I think it's at an estate sale store.

Not knowing the condition and hearing it turn on, I was gonna offer less. Would this be a good buy say for $300? Hate to drive an hour for nothing or get there and have them not come down in price.

01010_jx4b7szj9D_600x450.jpg[SIZE=1]00101_cU4VM8BYNbK_600x450.jpg

Last edited by Lee Schierer; 02-14-2017 at 1:29 PM. Reason: Adjusted font size

I would say yes, if it is in good condition-it is about 40 percent of the new unit, which would be about a thousand dollars. Getting the additional hundred off would be a no brainer.

I think any decent 8" Jointer in running condition under $500 is a decent deal. I don't know a ton about this model but I would say if its not warped and it runs well that $300 would be a great buy and even $400 as well.

If I'm not mistaken that era wasn't grizzly's finest, but a jointer is a simple machine. Check that the tables and fence is flat and go for it.

For $300 I would buy it off the pictures and word that it runs. It doesnt look that long, did they make them a bit shorter back then?

I found one on craig's list for a friend. He paid $450. I help him set it up. Except for the guard it is fine? We put a spiral head in it. I cannot remember if it was 1 belt or 2
    Last edited by Cary Falk; 02-14-2017 at 4:58 PM.

That's a good machine, made by Geetech in Taiwan along side of GI, Jet, Sunhill, Bridgewood, and many others, IIRC. IMO $400 is a fair price if in decent shape (and it looks to be).
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I own the same joiner. Its a 8" by 72" model that is probably 20 years old. Mine still runs perfectly and has served me well. Mine was purchased for $850.00 if that helps.

The G1018 doesn't list the dust collection connection but it looks like the chute can be seen in the 2nd picture. I purchased a G0500 used for $400 a couple of years ago. It's 2hp, has hand wheels instead of levers, and has dust collection. The G1018 is 1.5hp.

I had that jointer bought new in mid 90''s never had issue. Guy that bought was happy to get at $400. The 1.5 hp never a issue.

Seller is not ready to lower the price, firm on $400 AND the store doesnt have 220v to test it BUT said the owner/manager is good friends with the donor/owner of the jointer and the shop is confident it works.

Whatever that means. I might be able to borrow a generator but my little pickup likely cannot carry both the jointer and generator.

I have a slightly newer version and it's with the handwheels. I bought about 8 years ago for $400 and I put a helical cutterhead on it recently. Until I put that helical head on it, I had never had to realign the fence to 90 degrees, even after moving twice. I will never get rid of mine unless I go up in size. Definitely a good piece of machinery.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Irish View Post
    Seller is not ready to lower the price, firm on $400 AND the store doesnt have 220v to test it BUT said the owner/manager is good friends with the donor/owner of the jointer and the shop is confident it works.

Whatever that means. I might be able to borrow a generator but my little pickup likely cannot carry both the jointer and generator.
    Used motors can often be had very cheaply, at $400 depending on how believeable I found the guy I might just jump depending upon the circumstances.